You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Performance Issues

Jeff Feldman 1040149

Jeff Feldman 1040149
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys,

I recently installed a new MB (P6T Deluxe V2) and a core i7-920. I have not over-clocked the CPU. The computer runs fast, however, FS9 runs very poorly and gets very poor FPS. I have a GTX295, and 8GB of RAM, so FS should be running great.

Any ideas?

Nhancer is set-up...

Jeff

Nuriel Shem-Tov 1120623
Posted
Posted
Hey Guys,

I recently installed a new MB (P6T Deluxe V2) and a core i7-920. I have not over-clocked the CPU. The computer runs fast, however, FS9 runs very poorly and gets very poor FPS. I have a GTX295, and 8GB of RAM, so FS should be running great.

Any ideas?

Nhancer is set-up...

Jeff

I did encounter someone who got the same system like yours and also had performance issues.

We tried many things like different settings, but that also made no sense.

He did return after a while to tell me that after overclocking he did get good performance. (o.c. to something like 3.9Ghz)

I am not that professional to say why this is, as your system is a very good and advanced one.

One guess I have is that some CPU setting in the BIOS was changed due to his overclocking and that might have made the trick. Just to give you a possible direction.

I hope someone who knows more about these issues and FS9 can jump in here, as I am working with FSX...

Nuriel Shem-Tov, Amsterdam.

fs_s.jpg

Jeff Feldman 1040149
Posted
Posted

I have heard that over-clocking drastically reduces CPU life-span, as well as it is not covered my the warranty- also I have no experience in over-clocking and it sounds complicated...

Nuriel Shem-Tov 1120623
Posted
Posted
I have heard that over-clocking drastically reduces CPU life-span, as well as it is not covered my the warranty- also I have no experience in over-clocking and it sounds complicated...

You are correct.

I also dont think that O.C. should be the solution., however, as I said, it might have been one of the CPU configurations in the BIOS which the user has changed when o.c his CPU. I am not familiar with the specifics of your mother board or the I7 920 so I would recommend just to make sure you dont have anything in the bios which might be a limit factor (maybe Hyper Threading is on, maybe should try switch it off etc. or other way around)

But would also recommend let someone who understands do it for you, just for checking if that might be the issue.

Nuriel Shem-Tov, Amsterdam.

fs_s.jpg

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

not only that, but if done wrong, complete system failure.

if your not familiar doin it, i dont recommend it. had one literally catch on fire on me a few years back it got so hot

Jeff Feldman 1040149
Posted
Posted

I wonder what the problem could be, as the computer runs fast and very well, however it is just FS that isn't running as planned. I'm not doing to try to overclock it, however i do believe that it has something to do with FS and the CPU/GPU.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

is it a fresh install of FS?

Jeff Feldman 1040149
Posted
Posted

Yes, fresh install.

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

It's very hard to physically damage the system by overclocking, unless you go in the upper extremes without taking proper care of the CPU temperature. I had a Core2Duo E8500 overclocked from 3GHz to 4GHz for a year without any indication of a problem. My previous CPU (AMD @ 2.2GHz) was overclocked to 3GHz as well, and ran for over three years without ever causing a problem.

Going in small steps (200MHz increase at a time) you'll be able to easily determine what the system can handle without risking and damage. The PC won't boot, or will reboot if you go over the limit. Only real insane and careless overclocks (such as going crazy with the voltage and using the stock Intel cooler) might damage the system.

People have been running i7 processors on 3.5+GHz clocks practically effortlessly. All you gotta do is get a good CPU cooler, to make sure it doesn't run too hot.

EDIT #2: Intel specifies the maximum voltage and maximum temperature that the CPU can withstand. The 'default' clock is achieved well below the maximum allowed voltage, and under full load [with a good cooler] is a long way below the max temperature. They can't void the warranty if you keep your CPU within those limits. And you can keep the i7 at 4GHz easily without going over those limits.

Jeff Feldman 1040149
Posted
Posted

I have a feeling that the GPU is the problem. It runs perfectly, however, I believe a setting is wrong...but I don;t know which one.

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

One thing you could do to test whether it's the CPU is to open task manager on the 'Performance' tab, then start FS in a worst-case-situation, such as a high end addon, on really good quality scenery. Move around until you're able to see the performance is unsatisfactory. After a few minutes (3-5 min), look at the CPU Usage graphs. Mainly, look whether one of the cores (since FS won't use all anyway) had 100% usage during your small FS test.

Jeff Feldman 1040149
Posted
Posted

Ivan, the CPU is behaving normally. It was around 15-20 percent the entire time.

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Jeff, are you looking at the total CPU usage (number) or the actual graphs while FS is running?

• 2 weeks later...
John Graham 1036677
Posted
Posted

What I have found is that newer systems don't work well with FS9. After all, it is like 6 years old now. It may not use the Cores very efficiently because it was incorrectly programmed to be fully compatible with the i7. The same thing goes for the GTX295.

I have a 9800 GT, and even though it is over better, my 8800 GT works better for FS9.

asb4.jpg