You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Satellite internet

Paul Tutty

Paul Tutty
Posted
Posted

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this in, but I am having issues connecting to VATSIM through FSInn, using FSX Acceleration on a desktop PC running windows vista with all the latest drivers and service packs.

This computer connected correctly to VATSIM before I moved out into the countryside here in Oklahoma, so it is not an FSInn problem and I do not need to read the stickie. FSInn was installed correctly and works just fine on a regular ADSL connection of 4MB.

However, now I have satellite connection through wildblue.net rated at 1.5MBps, but with only 128KBps upload, therefore my latency often hovers around 2000ms. Combined with maybe a timeout value for connecting to the VATSIM servers, I suspect that is my issue and I'm not sure if there is a solution to this at all.

However, knowing we have many very experienced members here on the forum, I figured I'd at least throw it out there and see if anyone knows of a solution, or, at least has a better idea than the stuff I have been trying, such as increasing the timeout value to a figure in minutes, not seconds and a couple other tweaks to internet traffic protocols, which I have since undone as they never helped.

UV0023.png

Nuriel Shem-Tov 1120623
Posted
Posted

Hi Paul,

I do believe it would be a good idea to try posting this issue on the FSINN forum as well.

There are some guys like Larry over there who are very good with any issues of connections and vatsim...

(I dont know, maybe the loopback adapter resolution might help, but i am not sure about in your case...)

Good luck!

Nuriel Shem-Tov, Amsterdam.

fs_s.jpg

Paul Tutty
Posted
Posted

Thanks Nuriel. I am actually working it out now, I increased the timeout value and started trying to connect to the new USA-N server and it now connects, but only for a second. Which is obviously good news, as now I just have to work through the checklist on the FSInn forum and I should be good to go, I believe! Shame it's taken me nearly 9 months to get the time to fix this issue, I've been so busy I haven't had time to troubleshoot this before now, while I'm snowed in haha!

UV0023.png

Nuriel Shem-Tov 1120623
Posted
Posted
Thanks Nuriel. I am actually working it out now, I increased the timeout value and started trying to connect to the new USA-N server and it now connects, but only for a second. Which is obviously good news, as now I just have to work through the checklist on the FSInn forum and I should be good to go, I believe! Shame it's taken me nearly 9 months to get the time to fix this issue, I've been so busy I haven't had time to troubleshoot this before now, while I'm snowed in haha!

Hi Paul,

Just make sure you properly go over/perform the FSINN FAQ and stickies as they have solutions to most common connection issues and other errors that might happen. The problem you described (connecting but just for a second) sound very much like the most common FSINN issues. Related to either Anti Virus, Firewall, Permissions, Network, Servers.... Its all there in the FAQ I am sure you already know that if you are reading in the FSINN forum.

Once installed correctly you are good to go.

Good luck!

Nuriel Shem-Tov, Amsterdam.

fs_s.jpg