You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Mac Computer

Jason Cox 1142241

Jason Cox 1142241
Posted
Posted

Good Afternoon,

Just wondering if anyone knows if they have successfully loaded this program on a MAC computer and run it with FSX? Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Pilot in need

Alexander Tucker 1106997
Posted
Posted

You'll have to buy a program that lets you run Windows on you Mac. Otherwise, FSX is not made for Mac's.

Flying is simple, as long as you know how to do it. bug.gif?dateline=1293816988 <-- The original bug is back. (The best part is that it doesn't stop.)

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

If you have a recent Mac (read: built in the last 2 - 3 years, has an Intel CPU), you should be able to use Boot Camp to install Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, and run FSX from there. Boot Camp is installed with Mac OS X. So as long as you have a valid copy of Windows, you're good.

BL

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

It's "Mac" - and you'll find most Mac flyers use X-Plane. However, as others have stated if you really want to, you can create a Bootcamp partition, load Windows and FSX and boot the Mac into Windows.

Jason Cox 1142241
Posted
Posted

Should i Just opt out of a MAC and get a Gaming PC since this one is WAY!!! to slow for FSX. I just don't want any lag time if i get a mac and have to run a Windows program and the FSX at the same time. Thanks for all the replies,

Steven Caffey
Posted
Posted

If you run Windows through Boot Camp (as Wade mentioned, and this is what I do) then you're not running both at the same time. I run FSX at decent settings with no problem on an almost 5 year old MacBook Pro (first model with Intel)

Steven Caffey (SY) ZLA Controller

"A mile of highway gets you one mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere."

1099774.png

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
Should i Just opt out of a MAC and get a Gaming PC since this one is WAY!!! to slow for FSX. I just don't want any lag time if i get a mac and have to run a Windows program and the FSX at the same time. Thanks for all the replies,

Jason,

If you want to run FSX, then a PC would be the best choice.

With that said, you can get a copy of X-plane for under $100. You can't buy a new PC for $100.

Julian Hoffman 850174
Posted
Posted

PC would definitely be the best choice, as a MAC, even with bootcamp, is never a PC. The hardware isn't the same, and FSX is optimized to run on PC hardware. You'll also get more bang for your buck with a gaming pc.

Julian Hoffman

ZAN ARTCC - DATM

VATSIM Hit Squad Member

VATSIM Network Supervisor

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
PC would definitely be the best choice, as a MAC, even with bootcamp, is never a PC. The hardware isn't the same, and FSX is optimized to run on PC hardware. You'll also get more bang for your buck with a gaming pc.

How is it not the same?

Intel-based motherboard.

Intel CPU.

nVidia or ATI video card.

SATA interface.

Physically, there isn't anything different between a Mac nowadays and a PC, except for the BIOS/bootloader software used to install and run MacOS. This is where the Hackintosh concept comes in. Since Apple went to using Intel-based chips, all their hardware now is pretty much a glorified PC.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
Physically, there isn't anything different between a Mac nowadays and a PC, except for the BIOS/bootloader software used to install and run MacOS. This is where the Hackintosh concept comes in. Since Apple went to using Intel-based chips, all their hardware now is pretty much a glorified PC.

That's oversimplifying a little bit Brad. Macs have custom sound chips, custom power management controllers and numerous other touches which make them more than just a bunch of stock PC parts put together.

With that said, you're certainly correct that the major components are the same as PC's and a Mac running Windows in Bootcamp mode is a PC after all.