You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Transferring files? Windows 7 pc ---> Macbook Pro

Colin Levy 976130

Colin Levy 976130
Posted
Posted

I just bought a Macbook Pro [13.3", 2gb RAM, 320GB HDD] and want to transfer of files over to it from my Windows 7 pc. I do not have an external hard drive and their is about 45gb worth of files/mac programs to transfer over. I have searched google and found LOTS of ways but don't know what way is easiest and most reliable. Do i use an ethernet cable or go form over the network or what? Thanks!

976130.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

for me, doin it via my home network was the fastest, and cheapest, i already had the router and ethernet cables

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted

If you have IEEE 1394 (FireWire) support on the PC, a connected Mac would appear on the PC directory as another drive.

Regards, Opher Ben Peretz

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg

Nuriel Shem-Tov 1120623
Posted
Posted
If you have IEEE 1394 (FireWire) support on the PC, a connected Mac would appear on the PC directory as another drive.

Hi Opher,

I have a question about the firewire connection you talk of.

I know that MAC can only write onto FAT32. i always use a FAT32 HD to move files in between my PC and MAC, however, seeing I could connect the computers with Firewire, would that not present the same issue of windows being formatted most time NTFS? I mean, I would probably only be able to copy things on the FAT32 but not onto the NTFS? Correct?

I once downloaded the program Fuse, which i installed on my MAC and was supposed to make it possible for me to also write onto a NTFS formatted HD. But it doesnt seem to work.

I would be grateful if you could help me with some suggestions, from your experience (regarding why Fuse doesnt work for me, or other ways to overcome the FAT32/NTFS issues)

thanks!

Nuriel Shem-Tov, Amsterdam.

fs_s.jpg

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted

Nuriel,

after you install MacFuse, you will need to install ntfs-3g. This is the FUSE. You will need to make sure you have the latest versions of both, since older versions of ntfs-3g might not work with a newer version of MacFuse.

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse

Once you are done, you should be able to read AND write from your Mac to any NTFS drive!

Good luck!

Regards, Opher Ben Peretz

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg

Nuriel Shem-Tov 1120623
Posted
Posted
Nuriel,

after you install MacFuse, you will need to install ntfs-3g. This is the FUSE. You will need to make sure you have the latest versions of both, since older versions of ntfs-3g might not work with a newer version of MacFuse.

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse

Once you are done, you should be able to read AND write from your Mac to any NTFS drive!

Good luck!

That's great!

Thanks alot!

Nuriel Shem-Tov, Amsterdam.

fs_s.jpg