You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

req: List visibility to "Screen Layout" settingfile

Jonas Eberle

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

The visibility of METAR or Controller List is saved in the settings file "Screen Layout" - which I find very logical as this really is connected to the chosen layout.

The visibilty of the SIL/SEL/Dep.List is saved in "Sector inbound/exit/Departure list configuration".

Could these settings be shifted towards "Screen Layout"?

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

change it yourself that is the whole point of having the settings files configurable. You can have those settings in different files, or you can combine them in one file.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

I have different settings files for each setting category, Stephan.

To make it clearer why I think that would make sense:

I think each controller wants one setup for his SIL/SEL/Dep-Lists regarding the chosen fields and, even more important, the functions [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with them.

But I think you want a different layout (regarding the visibility of lists) on each ES-instance (aka .prf).

That is, I choose the same "Sector inbound/exit/Departure list configuration" file in each .prf (as this contains the columns and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated functions that should be common among all of them) but a different "Screen Layout" settings file.

The philosophy should be clear, I think. METAR/Controller/FP List are saved in the correct spot, only SIL/SEL/Dep-List are different.

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

The reason why it does make sense the way it works now is, because you want a different screen setup for different profiles, and your screen setup is not only dependent on the position of the lists, but also on the content of the list itself, because it is very likely to have different list setups for different profiles and screen setups.

I don't mind changing that at all, if I remember correctly I requested the very same thing when the lists were introduced, but was then convinced of the way how it works now, so if this memory is correct, this request was already declined. And now I am fine with the way it works, because I have different list setups for different profiles, even though I would still support this request. However it would not be that easy to determine what exactly would have to be moved, because the position of the list is not the only part of the settings that define the looks and screen setup.

Stephan Boerner

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted
The reason why it does make sense the way it works now is, because you want a different screen setup for different profiles, and your screen setup is not only dependent on the position of the lists, but also on the content of the list itself, because it is very likely to have different list setups for different profiles and screen setups.

That is, and you will still have exactly this functionality in the way I proposed. Did you understand what I meant?

But for those that want to keep all their list clomuns and functions in sync, they just select the same list definitions in different profiles, and set the list visiblity for each of their profiles differently.

Again, to explain it:

"Sector inbound/exit/Departure list configuration" file:

* columns

* functions

"Screen layout" file:

* list visibility

* lists collapsed or opened

You still could choose a very different setting file for each category and for each of your profiles, Stefan.

• 2 weeks later...
Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

And you do not see a point in it? It is a minor change and I listed the advantages.

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

I explained the difference between Metar/Controller list and SEL/SIL/DEP earlier. Metar and Controller list are fixed sized lists, while the size of the advanced lists depends on the list's content. So there is no real point in having the position seperated from the list settings. However I also said that I would not mind a change ... but no, I don't see a point in the request for the given reason.

Edit: Someone just gave me a hint, that you might be talking about only switching them ON or OFF without the position involved. If so, then yes, that sounds reasonable. The question would just be, if it was possible to move that setting also for plugin lists, otherwise there would always remain some lists with this setting outside, for example the holding list plugin.

Stephan Boerner