You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Light aircraft simulation

Michael Pike

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

While developing a scenario for working with light aircraft outside CAS, I've come across a few anomalies worth mentioning.

- Inbound aircraft will not start in the simulation (GS remains at 0) unless their initial altitude is at least 1000ft above the defined airport altitude.

- Lowest IAS that can be set is 120kts. I'd like to be able to slow down to 60kts. (If an initial speed of say 60kts is set in the scenario file the plane will maintain that, but I can't change it in the simulation to anything less than 120kts).

- visual approaches to land from close range are not possible (ILS limitations). I'd like to be able to use the rwy buttons to drive an aircraft on a VFR flightplan to the extended centre line to land from anywhere without the ILS restrictions. (In self-mode, I'd like this to happen when I click "Cleared visual approach" in the tag!)

- The take-off button on the minimised tool bar always seems to drive aircraft to go from the rwy with the lowest number (eg 09 not 27) regardless of which end it is nearest to.

Just observations for information of others who may be trying this. Probably not part of ES original concept?

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Michael,

- The first one is a built in limit. The 1000 ft above ground makes the difference how I initialize the plane. [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming on the ground or [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming as flying.

- The lowest IAS is from the old time when there was no performance data. It is a BUG now, I have to fix.

- The visual approach request is around for a wile. It needs a bit programming.

- The takoff lookes after the ILS definitions in the scenario file and selects the first where the plane is closer to 0.1 NM to the segment defined. Then starts the takeoff from the firstly defined end. In this way it is true that you can not simulate 09 and 27 in one scenario file.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted
Michael,

- The first one is a built in limit. The 1000 ft above ground makes the difference how I initialize the plane. [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming on the ground or [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming as flying.

It's realistic to pop up on the radar at 1000ft, just took me a while to find out why they wouldn't start!

- The visual approach request is around for a wile. It needs a bit programming.

We can work around by driving the aircraft to the extended centre line and then direct to "RW27" and altitude to zero. If the system would recognise this as a landing so we could pick up the taxi it would be a bonus.

- The takoff lookes after the ILS definitions in the scenario file and selects the first where the plane is closer to 0.1 NM to the segment defined. Then starts the takeoff from the firstly defined end. In this way it is true that you can not simulate 09 and 27 in one scenario file.

I tried reversing the order of the ILS definitions but it didn't make any difference. It still seems to go in the direction of the lowest number.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Jean-Frederik Dion 819740
Posted
Posted
[Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming on the ground or [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming as flying.
Thought only the below 50kts test was still current. Is this one really necessary?

We can work around by driving the aircraft to the extended centre line and then direct to "RW27" and altitude to zero. If the system would recognise this as a landing so we could pick up the taxi it would be a bonus.
Why not issue an ILS command while it's on base. Personally I use heading commands to bring them on base at the intercept altitude then hit an ILS button.

Gergely Csernak 904331 wrote:

I tried reversing the order of the ILS definitions but it didn't make any difference. It still seems to go in the direction of the lowest number.

Why not use the "[Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned runway" when available.

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted
Why not use the "[Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned runway" when available.

I just tried that. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you mean setting the runway in the departure list; that doesn't seem to work either.

The direction for takeoff is not defined in the scenario file - only the threshold coordinates, so it must be calculated. If the aircraft needs to be within 0.1nm of a threshold, surely it should take off towards the opposite threshold - or in the direction implied by the identifier (ILS27 = 270 degrees)?

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

0.1 NM not from the threshold, but from the centerline.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Jean-Frederik Dion 819740
Posted
Posted

How come when I hit takeoff planes start rolling from their actual position rather than intercepting the centerline. I use taxi commands to bring planes to holding points.