You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Windows XP set up error

Joseph Sherrill 1047575

Joseph Sherrill 1047575
Posted
Posted

Ok, I have a huge problem here. I am attempting to install windows XP 64 bit on a computer. I have the 1 tb HDD split into a 700 GB partition with the rest un-partitioned space. XP is (Obviously) being set up on the 700 GB partition. I plan on using the ~280 GB remaining to install Win 7 for a dual boot system. Once XP installs, the computer reboots and says set up will continue. I imagine it will boot off the HDD, with the CD remaining in the drive. A least that is how XP media center installs on my other computer. However, after the reboot, the BIOS forces the OS to load of the CD drive first regardless. Set up loads back at the default screen, with no indication that it has already been run. Ok, easy fix, load the boot menu and tell it to load off the hard drive. Oops, loading off the HDD gives me a fatal error with a message telling me to CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart. Could the unpartitioned space be causing this? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to fix it?

wAYEh.png

• 1 month later...
Jeff Feldman 1040149
Posted
Posted

The HDD are most likely SATA, I just went through the exact problem

1. Download all SATA drivers for your motherboard

2. Download NLite Software (free)

3. Incorporate SATA drivers into installation

Boom, you have Windows Xp 64!