You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Ruler

Mark Wolpert

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

I wonder if it is possible to turn around the ruler so that the heading is at the end of the line rather than the beginning. If find if I use the ruler and mark from the aircraft out that the heading is written over the tag and is unreadable.

Mark.

847924.png

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

If you mark from aircraft to point it is written at the point. If you mark point to aircraft, then it is at the aircraft (tag).

George Papafilis
Posted
Posted

I think Mark means that if you have a target (A/C) moving from West to East and you want to vector it towards Northeast, you double click the target and drag the ruler to the Northeast. This creates a ruler line with Northeast and Southwest ends and corresponding vectors. The vector you want to issue to the A/C as controller is written on the target (Southwest end of the ruler line). He requires that to be reversed so that a controller can look at the other end of the ruler line (the Northeast end) where presumably it is more readable.

The numbers at the end of the ruler are accompanied by a direction pointer. If the direction pointers were to migrate along with their corresponding numbers at the opposite end of the ruler line, I think it's a valid request.

Regards,

George K. Papafilis

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

George, this is correct. This is the way VRC works and it is simply a matter of readability.

Mark.

847924.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
George, this is correct. This is the way VRC works and it is simply a matter of readability.

VRC actually draws the ruler data in a box anchored at the middle of the ruler line.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

How soon I forget.

847924.png

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

I suggest you using the distance tool. Click on the AC the move the mouse and you will see the heading, the distance and also the time remaining to the point.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much for that tip.

Mark.

847924.png

George Papafilis
Posted
Posted

@ Gergely: the distance tool is not useful for the task of [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning the next vector. The ruler is just a double click and drag to see the vector and a single click to get rid of the line, a total of 2 jobs all done at the vicinity of the target a/c. The same task with the distance tool requires a click on the distance tool, a click on the target a/c, a click on the desired direction of the vector and a double click at the top-left of the screen to get rid of the distance info. That's 4 jobs, 2 of which (1 and 4) are done away from the target a/c at the radar corners, pretty much the greatest distance from the center of the screen where all the action takes place. Alternatively it can be done with 3 jobs. Select distance tool, click on target and move away to find the vector, right click on the screen so that no distance is depicted on the top left corner. Still, the fact that you need to move away from the action to select the distance tool makes it less appealing than the ruler, which is always available.

Personally I use the ruler. I make sure the tag is positioned so that it's not in the way of the a/c, so that when I use the ruler, the vector does not interfere with the tag. Nevertheless, it's a comebersome workaround and I would surely prefer the numbers and arrows inverted on the ruler.

My 2 cents of worth

George K. Papafilis

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

I guess Todor's plug-in have a great feature that moving the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned heading TAG item display the distance tool from the AC and also sets the value as [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned. That is really cool.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer