You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Just A Question - New

Matthew Kerr-Sheppard 1074

Posted
Posted

Hello fellow VATSIM members,

I am currently new to this whole VATSIM experience and looking forward to taking up the challenge , but I just have a question which would help me get started.

If I want to take off, fly for one hour in Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] G airspace (uncontrolled) and then land at the same airport like I usally do in real life, how would I fill in my flight plan, or do I not need to make one?

As I learn more, I will start to travel between airports, but for the moment taking off and landing at one airport is all I know and I feel comfortable with.

Thank you for reading,

Matthew Kerr-Sheppard

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

I suppose you want a VFR flight?

If so then you check the VFR checkbox. Set destination and departure to the airport in question. And that really is enough, if you wish you can put your intentions in the routes field but this isn't nessecary.

Someone from the UK will have to confirm it but if you come to sweden at least you can fly VFR without flightplan (I did this a week ago or something). Then ATC will ask you some details (type of aircraft, souls onboard) and then you can fly along just as if you had a flightplan. But filing one might still be good, then you can also put "new pilot" in your remarks wich is a good thing if you're new

Welcome to Vatsim and safe landings!

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Posted
Posted

Thanks Johan for the quick reply.

Yes sorry for not mentioning VFR first of all,

I tried what you said and left the routes field blank, but when I try to submit the flightplan it comes up with an error and asks me to fill out the routes? What should I type in it? Or just put "Blank", "N/A"? (Squawkbox 4 is what I am using.)

I will tell the controller what I plan to do, and if there is no controller I will say on UNICOM, just wasnt sure whether I should submit a flightplan or ATC wouldnt have a clue what I was doing .

Cheers,

Matthew Kerr-Sheppard

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted
Thanks Johan for the quick reply.

Yes sorry for not mentioning VFR first of all,

I tried what you said and left the routes field blank, but when I try to submit the flightplan it comes up with an error and asks me to fill out the routes? What should I type in it? Or just put "Blank", "N/A"? (Squawkbox 4 is what I am using.)

I will tell the controller what I plan to do, and if there is no controller I will say on UNICOM, just wasnt sure whether I should submit a flightplan or ATC wouldnt have a clue what I was doing .

Cheers,

Matthew Kerr-Sheppard

Ah OK, Fsinn doesn't care for the route

If you need to put something in the routes field just the icao of the airport should do. Or if you have decided how to leave the CTR you can put that in (again not sure about UK procedures, sweden use reporting points for p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing in and out of control zones, can anyone who knows answer if this is true for the UK aswell or will "west departure" suffice?). So if you're flying out at EGSS just putting EGSS in the route should be enough for Squawkbox.

Johan Grauers

Posted
Posted

Thanks Johan for another reply,

I will do as said, and will explain either to the controller or on UNICOM what I am planning to do, I will just put in my route bit the ICAO airport code like said

If you ever fly into the UK and hear the ATC going crazy about a pilot flying all over the place, that will probably be me

Thanks for all your help, and hope to see you in the air sometime.

Matthew Kerr-Sheppard

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted
Thanks Johan for another reply,

I will do as said, and will explain either to the controller or on UNICOM what I am planning to do, I will just put in my route bit the ICAO airport code like said

If you ever fly into the UK and hear the ATC going crazy about a pilot flying all over the place, that will probably be me

Thanks for all your help, and hope to see you in the air sometime.

Matthew Kerr-Sheppard

Hehe, well at least I like a challange as ATC

And btw don't be afraid to ask, I've always found the UK atc to be really nice folks who gladly answer a question or five

Johan Grauers

Dave James 1018738
Posted
Posted

Matthew,

The PDF files at the bottom of this page may be of help to you.

http://www.vatsim-uk.org/index.php?page=newpilots

David James

VATSIM Screenshot Contest Coordinator

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4gig, RAM 3.25gig, ATI Radeon HD4800, XP Pro SP3, FS9.1 FSnav FSinn VRC

EXS_3.jpg

Posted
Posted

Thank you both,

I will be looking though those Dave, thanks for the link , hopefully sometime over the weekend I will try and do my first flight, *fingers crossed*

Cheers

Matthew Kerr-Sheppard