You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Stream Processors...is an increase worth it?

Charan Kumar

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

After switching to W7 x64 8GB RAM and tweaks, I have a pretty stable system that runs FSX with UTX/GEX/REX with a decent fps of 10+ (thx BL). Even though I was strongly advised not to SLI cards of different types , I have managed to SLI a 256MB DDR3 and a 8800GTS 512MB DDR3 on a EVGA 750sli MB. Still, there are times when u switch between VC and add-on airports where it will shoot ur fps down and if you had some amt of tfc, it can go down a bit more. My m/c runs on a hardwire internet connection, so network wise I should be fine (I think). I have to run some sliders down and that removes certain aspects of scenery which I would still love to see.

I recently saw a nVidia GTS250 1GB DDR3 which has 128 stream processors for $100 (I haven't spent the rest yet BL ). I read on these forums that stream processors are what actually matter. My current 8800gts which is hooked to the primary display for FSX (only 1 display for the game, the other one is for all other stuff) has 112 stream processors.

Will an upgrade be worth it? When does it really start to matter between stream processors and memory etc? The guy at FRY's said it might not matter, but they haven't been right exactly every time.

Appreciate your answers as always!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

FSX unfortunately makes almost no use of the graphics card. All that really matters is the processor.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

I was really really hoping the GC wud have something to do with it. I guess I have to wait out the processor for now, I am running a C2Q 9400, although not overclocked.

Thx for the answer!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

the stream processing in FSX is limited to special effects files .fx pretty much. You don't need that many. your 8800GTS 512 has plenty! Anyways if you want a new graphics card best to wait it out for the 400series..