You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Very low frames

Alex Jevdic 1016468

Alex Jevdic 1016468
Posted
Posted

Alistair, as I stated in my previous post I have a 6 year old HP Pavilion with a ATI Radeon 200x xpress card. I upgraded the RAM from 512 mb to 1.2 gigs in December of 08 and that's the only upgrade I performed. I fly with defualt scenery, AS v6.5, SB3, FS9 with the update patch, Real Enviroment Pro, and I get bad frames in all heavy jets, MD-11, F/A-18, etc. I can get up to 9-10 frames with the defualt cessna on the ground, but once I'm above 14-15K I get 20-25 FPS locked no matter what I'm flying. This machine is old but It can still do college work so I can't justify a new PC in my budget, the only way I'll be able to is if it dies completly.

si.php?id=26

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Alistair, as I stated in my previous post I have a 6 year old HP Pavilion with a ATI Radeon 200x xpress card. I upgraded the RAM from 512 mb to 1.2 gigs in December of 08 and that's the only upgrade I performed. I fly with defualt scenery, AS v6.5, SB3, FS9 with the update patch, Real Enviroment Pro, and I get bad frames in all heavy jets, MD-11, F/A-18, etc. I can get up to 9-10 frames with the defualt cessna on the ground, but once I'm above 14-15K I get 20-25 FPS locked no matter what I'm flying. This machine is old but It can still do college work so I can't justify a new PC in my budget, the only way I'll be able to is if it dies completly.

Hi, Alex. The chances of your intended recipient getting your message would be enhanced dramatically if you either replied to whatever topic had the dialog or PM’s the user. Without some link to your referenced, this new thread appears dangling.

If your message was intended as a reply to a thread you were already participating, you might best use the “View your posts” link that is found on the top of the forum pages. You can also use the forum’s search feature to try to find the topic you’re addressing.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

I'm on it, Larry, thanks! I suggested to Alex that he post here about his low frames rather than in the original thread to avoid hijacking. I said I'd look out here for a post.

Alex, Thanks for following my suggestion to create a new thread here. The problem you are having is almost certainly a combination of the on-board graphics and Real Environment Pro. The fact that your frame rate is good at height shows that it's the ground rendering which is hitting you most.

I had real problems with an IGS on an old PC too, and in my case the symptoms were not just poor frame rates but also a complete inability of the PC to handle inputs from my Saitek equipment. I originally blamed the Saitek kit, but when I installed a (low end) graphics card, the yoke, throttles and rudder pedals worked perfectly.

Looks like you're stuck with the low frames until you can afford to upgrade your machine. Meantime you might consider un-installing the Real Environment scenery to see if that helps.

There is also the small matter of your settings so for example if you turn down autogen all the way to the left, that will improve frame rates at the expense of scenery. Fiddling about with these display settings will make a big difference to performance. It won't get you 40FPS or anything, but it will raise you from single figures to double. But you'll need to compromise between how it all looks and how it flies!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Alex Jevdic 1016468
Posted
Posted

Alistair, I already fiddled with the settings that's why my sceneries lack gates. They are lowered to the minimum point where the taxi signs will still appear and I'll consider uninstalling real environment pro, aside that everything else that could be done is done. Thanks for your help though

si.php?id=26