You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How to add RAM??

Dmetrey Taborko 1079623

Dmetrey Taborko 1079623
Posted
Posted

I have just looked inside of my computer trying to find the ram slots and see how i can add more ram. There i see 2 slots that both of them have ram sticks in them and no free slot. In my computer properties it says that i have 1GB of ram. Does that mean that those sticks in the slots are both 512mb each? if so do i have to replace both of them or can i add a stick of 2gb and replace it with one of the 512mb, and leave the other one there and i will have 2.5GB?

generate.php?mid=1079623

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if you have 1gb and only 2 slots, then yep 512 each

how much ram you can add tho is pc dependent. check your PC specs to see whats the max you can add

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Some experts discourage mismatching ram sticks, such as amounts, speed, and manufacturers for optimum performance and less problems. If you can, try to change both sticks at once, of the same size, speed and manufacturer.

You might not have problems in your case, but if you do have problems (lockups, crashes) you can probably test if this is the culprit by removing one of the sticks and checking if the problem persists (if they are mismatched).

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Replace both with maximum size and maximum speed you can get, use memory stick you buy in one pair of stick (e.g. 2x1Gb) they are matched by pair or 4-pack in factory. But look your motherboard/computer manual for the maximum size and speed the motherboard support. You dont need better speed that your motherboard support.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Dmetrey Taborko 1079623
Posted
Posted

ok thankyou!

generate.php?mid=1079623

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

dmetrey: yeah just replace the two that are already in there with 2 gigs if you can. Surprised there are only two slots, but I imagine it supports double sided ram. Have you considering going 64 bit? I would if the rest of your hardware is supported driver wise.

Dmetrey Taborko 1079623
Posted
Posted

Im sorry but im not verry good in computer technology . What do you mean go 64 bit? I rightclick desktop and go to properties and the prop tab but the max is 32.

generate.php?mid=1079623

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Im sorry but im not verry good in computer technology . What do you mean go 64 bit? I rightclick desktop and go to properties and the prop tab but the max is 32.

The 64 bit (verses the 32 bit) is an OS version choice. You also have to have hardware that supports that choice.

If you your motherboard supports 64 bit, you can either install the 32 or 64 bit version of your Operation System. If your motherboard only supports 32 bit, your only option is the 32 OS version.

Based on your message, you have purchased the 32 bit version of your OS.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

You need a 64 bit processor and OS for your computer to handle 4 gigs or greater. It sounds like you would need an OS or a processor upgrade, possibly both.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Dmetrey Taborko 1079623
Posted
Posted

Ahhhh ok. 2 GB for me is just fine . Thanks for the help

generate.php?mid=1079623

Dmetrey Taborko 1079623
Posted
Posted

Actually you know what. I had this computer in the repair shop quite a bit and the last time they changed the motherboard and gave me back the box of the new motherboard .

On it it says:

+ socket 754 for AMD athon 64 and sempon Processors

+ NVIDIA GeForce 7050/nForce 630A MCP chipsets

+ Supports DDR400/333/266 non-ECC, un-buffered memory with 2x DDR DIMM slots, maximun

capacity up to 2GB

+ Integrated NVIDIA Geforce7 Series (NV44) graphics DX9.0 VGA, Pixel shader 3.0,max. shared

memory 256MB

+ 1x PCI Express x 16 slot

+ 4 x Serial ATAII 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0,RAID 1,RAID 0+1,RAID 5,JBOD),

NCQ,AHCI and "Hot Plug" functions.

+ (couple of other wierd things...).

But i still dont understand what will change if i install a 64bit Operation Sis?

generate.php?mid=1079623

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Actually you know what. I had this computer in the repair shop quite a bit and the last time they changed the motherboard and gave me back the box of the new motherboard .

On it it says:

+ socket 754 for AMD athon 64 and sempon Processors

+ NVIDIA GeForce 7050/nForce 630A MCP chipsets

+ Supports DDR400/333/266 non-ECC, un-buffered memory with 2x DDR DIMM slots, maximun

capacity up to 2GB

+ Integrated NVIDIA Geforce7 Series (NV44) graphics DX9.0 VGA, Pixel shader 3.0,max. shared

memory 256MB

+ 1x PCI Express x 16 slot

+ 4 x Serial ATAII 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0,RAID 1,RAID 0+1,RAID 5,JBOD),

NCQ,AHCI and "Hot Plug" functions.

+ (couple of other wierd things...).

But i still dont understand what will change if i install a 64bit Operation Sis?

Not much if the maximum ram capacity if 2Gigs.

Also, you mention you have a slot for the 64 bit processor. Are you saying you have a 64 bit processor in your computer? That’s another hardware requirement.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Dmetrey Taborko 1079623
Posted
Posted

Oh no i dont have a 64bit processor. I guess this motherboard can handle it thoe if i had it. ill just try to buy 2 ram sticks 1GB each

generate.php?mid=1079623

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

capacity up to 2GB

It mean you can buy one pair if DDR400 1GB (2x1GB). You may can buy faster e.g. DDR800 but your current motherboard will anyway only use memory speed 400.

The simple answer is, you don't need a 64bit OS for your computer and usage. The avantage is if more than 4GB RAM or currently for a few software's that can take really advantage of 64bit CPU. For FS and your computer you may just get problem.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png