You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Possible Bug

Henry McCabe 1034152

Henry McCabe 1034152
Posted
Posted

Not sure if this has been posted before...

When i am controlling with ES, i quite frequently get a landline call from other controllers and obs using VRC. After speaking to a few i have realised that when they click "Monitor" in VRC it rings the controller in ES, rather than tuning to the voice channel.

This is rather annoying, as people keep ringing you because they think that VRC isn't working for them.

ta,

Henry McCabe

VATUK

[email protected]

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

That's correct, ES is set up so that you have to explicitly accept or reject intercom/override/monitor calls.

Honestly, I don't see as much of a need for those function, when you consider:

1. You have to have routers set up perfectly to allow the connections in.
  2. TeamSpeak has become popular as the means for inter-controller communications.
  3. In EuroScope, it's just as easy to choose "Listen To Frequency" as it is to monitor someone.

I do think that you could make a case for monitor and override calls to not need explicit acceptance.

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Don't forget a monitor and override allow the third party to listen not only the freq, but the chat messages and all other land calls. Also in ASRC if you can remember if you hadn't set the mute to on, your mic was hot all the time, so it should have a manual acceptance to it. And in override the third party can speak in your freq, messing your traffic;-) Listen to freq, is simply a automatic way to set a new freq and tune to it.

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

Well, for ground-to-ground communications, I am comparing to VRC.

Does ground-to-ground communications really relay chat messages? That must be something specific to EuroScope, because I do not believe VRC does this.

I know that, with an override, your mic is active at all times, but I believe this is intentional. I do not believe that, in VRC at least, your mic is always hot when somebody is monitoring you. That might be something specific to VRC.

Finally, when it comes to the Override, it is important to note that VRC would display a large message on screen during the entire time an override is taking place. I believe a sound would also be played, for additional notification. EuroScope's notifications are much more muted in comparison. Of course, if an evil user wanted to cause problems by transmitting on your frequency, it would be much easier for them to just tune the frequency as normal.

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

I didn't mean private chat message but all others. Also I didn't say ES has a hot mic, just why it has been explicit acceptance needed before and it stayed like that.

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

While other land-line-functions might be nice from time to time,

I would like to exclude OBS (facility type) from ringing me. An automated reply message would be nice.