You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Splitting Sound Issue

Matthew Hodgkins 1131836

Matthew Hodgkins 1131836
Posted
Posted

I finally bought a set of speakers to go with my laptop that runs FSX. I know about the ability of FSX to use two sound devices to split between aircraft sounds and ATC sounds, as well as FSInn allowing me to do the same thing. I've got it set up (albeit, in a weird way; my mic is plugged in to the mic jack, then the one next to it where I usually plug in my headphones is occupied by my speakers, and the last one is where my headphones now have to go. I wanted to plug my mic and headphones next to each other and use the furthest slot for speakers, but that doesn't work at all. Weird.), but when I load FSX, I get blasted with a/c sound from my headphones as well as my speakers. If I push ` to open the ATC window and select an item, MSATC will talk and then everything works fine from then on, but unless I do that first, both speakers and headset uses engine sounds. I have to do this even if I'm online with FSInn. Is there something I am missing so that I don't go deaf from my headset being up (which is actually not that loud when listening to ATC traffic, either default or online). It really aggravating to have to tune ATC before the sim loads just to have the sounds be split properly. Any ideas?

1131836.jpg

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

do you have dual sound cards? or usb headset? if not, wont work

Matthew Hodgkins 1131836
Posted
Posted

I'm honestly not too sure what my sound card set up is, but I do know it works when I split the sounds (no USB headset and two audio out jacks). I have ATC in my headset and a/c/environment sounds on the speakers, but I have to have MSATC or someone on VATSIM speak first before the sounds split, otherwise both the speakers and headset play engines initially. It wouldn't be too bad if I remembered to ppush ` then another button on FS to have ATC say something before putting on my headset, but I don't always remember the simple stuff. If there were another way around this, then I wouldn't have to worry about it. It's just weird to me that it only works after initial ATC contact.

1131836.jpg

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

2 sound jacks could indicate you have dual cards.

to be sure. in your sound settings, how many devices does it list? (both in fsinn and on your desktop control panel)

if it has 2 different ones, make sure they both dont have the same device selected

if its not that, could be a routing issue where its having trouble deciding where to send the sounds to. that type of issue i have no idea how to fix, probably larry might.

have you tried the troubleshooting info on the FSINN help forum?

Matthew Hodgkins 1131836
Posted
Posted

Yes, I have two different sound settings (Speakers/Headphones IDT HD Audio and Independent R.T.C Headphones), both of which act as either a headphone/speaker jack or front/center speakers. In FSX I have sound set to one and voice set to the other, same as in FSInn (can't remember which goes to what though). I don't think it's specifically an FSInn issue because it does it in offline mode, as well with MSATC, but then again, who knows? All-in-all it's not really that big of a deal because it does work, I just don't like going deaf when the headphones kick on with engine sounds . ATC both default and online sound fine once they are "activated" but the engine sounds are a bit much. I'll tinker with the settings later on and see if I can fix it, I just hope I can get them back to how they are if nothing else works.

Thanks for the advice.

1131836.jpg

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
2 sound jacks could indicate you have dual cards.

Or a 5.1 card/mobo, which has been the standard for several years now.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.