You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Cross Cultural Communication

Craig Henderson 1143046

Craig Henderson 1143046
Posted
Posted

I have noticed a few times recently that there have been difficulties when foreign pilots fly into a particular sector that does not speak their language freely.

Having spoken to another controller about what they do in these situations (in this particular instance a russian pilot in US air space), the controller informed me that they have tried to use a google language converter to convert the English instructions over to russian to issue to the pilot via text.

However it appears that when it comes time to copy and paste, the russian characters show up as ??? in Euroscope's input box.

After a bit of searching, i think this is because Euroscope's default input language is Euphemia, which does not hold support for many foreign languages.

Was wondering if it might be worth considering changing the default input font language of Euroscope to Arial rather than Euphemia. This would allow the copy and paste functions to work for online language translators, making communication between different cultured controllers and pilots that little bit easier.

Any thoughts on this?