You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Connection Time Out

Steven Rogers 901202

Steven Rogers 901202
Posted
Posted

Hey, this is the first time that I have attempted to connect to VATSIM. I downloaded the software, and followed the tutorial to the stage where I have to connect to VATSIM. When I try, it brings up AVC and then several error messages come up saying:

The VATSIM authentication server you are trying to connect to has not responded.

AND,

The attempt to connect timed out without establishing a connection.

I have tried several servers and I'm trying to do it with full voice. What can I do.

I've also tried disabling the firewall to no avail.

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a firewall issue. It looks like the data packets don´t reach their destination.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Steven Rogers 901202
Posted
Posted

That might be it, what ports do I need to open?

Steven Rogers 901202
Posted
Posted

Don't worry, I found out that the ports needed are:

6809 TCP/UDP

6703 TCP/UDP

1900/6073/23456 UDP

3290 UDP

3782 UDP

Thanks for your help anyway.

Steven Rogers 901202
Posted
Posted

I still can't get AVC to work properly, it keeps saying that the authentication server doesn't respond.

Any answers??

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

hmmm,

as a rule of thumb I would always use the same server as the auth server in AVC, that I´ve choosen for Squawkbox to connect to. If you get connected with Squawkbox, but AVC says it can´t reach the server for authentification, then it must be a firewall issue again. Perhaps CZ can jump in and explain which port is needed for that.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Steven Rogers 901202
Posted
Posted

Sorry for all these questions, but I want to get it working.

Okay, I can know connect to AVC, but, of course, you need to connect to VATSIM first. I have SBRelay open, conected to the multiplayer session (I have fs2004 BTW). But when I go to open up squawkbox, and click join on the SBRelay session, it brings up an error saying that it has to close done, an error og is being created and to restart the program. I restart it and the same thing happens.

I have tried minimised fs to a window, doing it in fullscreen, reinstalling squawkbox I don't know how many times. But it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Dave Weese 817228
Posted
Posted

For a lot of people it will not run in Full Screen mode, I was one of those.

Other things to try.

What host program are you running? If your running HostSB.DLL try running the SBHost.exe in your SB folder, some people can't make the DLL version run. Just start it then start SB the way you would have with the DLL.

Are you running Norton or McAfee programs? The have caused problems for some people in the past.

If still no go, uninstall SB, delete the SB folder and the CSL folder in your FS9\Aircraft folder.

Then create these fodlers and try a reinstall of SB

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS2002\Aircraft

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS2002\Modules

Once its done copy the FS2002\Aircraft\CSL folder over to FS9\AIrcraft and see if it will run

Dave Weese (CXA007)

Fleet Manager

Canadian Xpress Virtual Airline®

http://www.CanadianXpress.ca

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

problems with full screen? a sometimes simple solution is starting eveything in window mode and sithcing to ful screen when everything is connected.

remeber to switch to windowed before closing FS

Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Richard Critz
Posted
Posted
hmmm,

as a rule of thumb I would always use the same server as the auth server in AVC, that I´ve choosen for Squawkbox to connect to. If you get connected with Squawkbox, but AVC says it can´t reach the server for authentification, then it must be a firewall issue again. Perhaps CZ can jump in and explain which port is needed for that.

AVC uses the same port as SB so if one can connect to a given server, then both should be able to.

Richard Critz

VP/Development (VATSIM26/VATGOV5)

VATSIM Board of Governors

VATSIM Network Team

Paul Williams 907674
Posted
Posted

AVC uses the same port as SB so if one can connect to a given server, then both should be able to.

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that is UDP and TCP Richard? (One uses one and vice versa) It's physically impossible otheriwse

Paul Williams (907674) - VATUK Controller & Pilot

Essex OBS to TWR Mentor | Essex Crib Sheet Author & Maintainer

Essex Radar Trainee | VATPAC Validated

generate.php?mid=907674

Richard Critz
Posted
Posted

No, it's TCP only.

Richard Critz

VATSIM Network Team

Paul Williams 907674
Posted
Posted

Care to explain how two processes can both use the same TCP Port?

generate.php?mid=907674

Richard Critz
Posted
Posted

The port on the server is the same. On your end, the ports are different, unprivileged ports. It's standard TCP endpoint stuff.

Richard Critz

VATSIM Network Team

Paul Williams 907674
Posted
Posted

Humm,

Surely that would cause confilcts on the server end? Programs must be running on the server in order to work with the data that is sent to it? Or am I just being stupid, as usual?

Sorry about the technobabble guys LOL.

generate.php?mid=907674

Richard Critz
Posted
Posted

Like I said, it's standard TCP endpoint stuff. No confusion for the server. It's the same way your browser works (it can have half-a-dozen or more concurrent connections to the same server, like when it's loading these forum pages). The problem is for UDP, not TCP.

Richard Critz

VATSIM Network Team