You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Is this PC ok?

Joshua John 1063610

Joshua John 1063610
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi guys thinking about buying a new pc for FSX as at the moment FSX doesnt run good on my pc and recently bought alot of new add-ons for fs9 and thats starting to get slow abit too so found a pc sounds good but will it be ok to run FSX Gold edition?

Here's the link

http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/20in-pavilion-p6310uk-desktop-pc/663133006.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f4877%2fs%2fprice%2c0%2fo%2f2&trail=4739-4872-4877&prdToken=/p/prod1591117-sku2421414

or

http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/as-x1301-amd-x4-quad-core-20in-desktop-pc/706736218.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f4877%2fs%2fprice%2c0%2fo%2f2&trail=4739-4872-4877&prdToken=/p/prod2670975-sku3862247

If someone could take a look and let me know that would be great.

Thanks

Edited by Guest

Joshua John

Web Services Director

Virgin Atlantic Virtual

webs.jpg

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Hi guys thinking about buying a new pc for FSX as at the moment FSX doesnt run good on my pc and recently bought alot of new add-ons for fs9 and thats starting to get slow abit too so found a pc sounds good but will it be ok to run FSX Gold edition?

Here's the link

http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/19in-as-x1301-desktop-pc/663129056.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f4877%2fs%2fbestsellers%2c0%2fo%2f5&isMerch=true&trail=4739-4872-4877

or

http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/as-x1301-amd-x4-quad-core-20in-desktop-pc/706736218.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f4877%2fs%2fprice%2c0%2fo%2f2&trail=4739-4872-4877&prdToken=/p/prod2670975-sku3862247

If someone could take a look and let me know that would be great.

Thanks

Hmm..

I would say the second one, if you're going to go to a name brand. But that also leaves you with not knowing some details on the innards of the machine. Processor, video, and memory are going to be your biggest concern, and while the CPU on either one will work fine, the video card is going to be your first contention point, followed by memory.

The video card in your first one is integrated onto the motherboard, which will work for other things, but for something as graphic intensive as MSFS, not good. If you can find one, for the 2nd computer, add (read: purchase) a nVidia GeForce 8800GT or 9800GT video card. The 9800GT should be easier to find.

Second, with the prebuilt computers, you don't know the specs on the motherboard. Yes, it has the CPU, hard drive, etc., but do you know how many slots there are for memory on the motherboard? Windows 7 will see all 4GB of memory, but for your addons, etc. I'd recommend nothing less than 6GB, with 8GB or more being optimal. This becomes important, because if the motherboard they use has only 2 slots, and you need to upgrade your memory, you will need to pull out all of the memory you have to replace it with bigger chips. 8GB of memory (read: 2 x 4GB chips) cost a lot more than having 4 slots, and buying 8GB memory (read: 4 x 2GB chips).

See the difference?

So before buying, give them a call or send them email and ask them about this. Depending on their answer, you may find it cheaper to build your own machine.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Joshua John 1063610
Posted
Posted
Hmm..

I would say the second one, if you're going to go to a name brand. But that also leaves you with not knowing some details on the innards of the machine. Processor, video, and memory are going to be your biggest concern, and while the CPU on either one will work fine, the video card is going to be your first contention point, followed by memory.

The video card in your first one is integrated onto the motherboard, which will work for other things, but for something as graphic intensive as MSFS, not good. If you can find one, for the 2nd computer, add (read: purchase) a nVidia GeForce 8800GT or 9800GT video card. The 9800GT should be easier to find.

Second, with the prebuilt computers, you don't know the specs on the motherboard. Yes, it has the CPU, hard drive, etc., but do you know how many slots there are for memory on the motherboard? Windows 7 will see all 4GB of memory, but for your addons, etc. I'd recommend nothing less than 6GB, with 8GB or more being optimal. This becomes important, because if the motherboard they use has only 2 slots, and you need to upgrade your memory, you will need to pull out all of the memory you have to replace it with bigger chips. 8GB of memory (read: 2 x 4GB chips) cost a lot more than having 4 slots, and buying 8GB memory (read: 4 x 2GB chips).

See the difference?

So before buying, give them a call or send them email and ask them about this. Depending on their answer, you may find it cheaper to build your own machine.

BL.

Thanks for that. Just checked up some prices and at the moment cant really afford that umm...it should work on FS9 fine though and with add-on's? Just want to get a new pc so that FS9 will work easier not that bothered about FSX as long as FS9 will work will ease even with add-on's

Thanks again

Also just realised the first link was wrong

http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/20in-pavilion-p6310uk-desktop-pc/663133006.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f4877%2fs%2fprice%2c0%2fo%2f2&trail=4739-4872-4877&prdToken=/p/prod1591117-sku2421414

Joshua John

Web Services Director

Virgin Atlantic Virtual

webs.jpg

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Thanks for that. Just checked up some prices and at the moment cant really afford that umm...it should work on FS9 fine though and with add-on's? Just want to get a new pc so that FS9 will work easier not that bothered about FSX as long as FS9 will work will ease even with add-on's

Thanks again

Also just realised the first link was wrong

The GeForce 210 is going to hurt you. It is really a low-end card, and not really well suited for gaming, so it may get a little better than gaming performance for FS9. Have a look at the review from Tom's Hardware. Granted, they gear their benchmarks towards more popular games, but when you see that the card is getting less than 10FPS on those, it makes you wonder how it will handle FS9.

How about this: If your 2nd choice in your first post was good, and it went for £549, and your latest went for £649, could you opt for the 2nd choice, and add in the nVidia GeForce 9600GT? There are a couple of places in the UK offering it for as low as £54 up to £77. That will put you slightly higher than your second choice as is from the shop, and cheaper than your 3rd choice. I say this, because the GeForce 9600GT has the same specs as the GeForce 8800GT, and the 8800GT screams. I have that in my PC now, and I'm getting 60FPS with FS9, and no lower than 35FPS with addons like the recently release Las Vegas McCarran Int'l airport scenery from FSDT.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Joshua John 1063610
Posted
Posted

Think I will go will for £549 one and upgrade to the 9600GT just when I searched it the first one I found was £200 but your right did some looking around and found one for £69 so seems thats the best option!

You really helped me out, when it comes to buying PC's well I'm not very good

Thanks

Joshua John

Web Services Director

Virgin Atlantic Virtual

webs.jpg