You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Better System. Lower FPS!?

Jon-Paul Stone 1147969

Jon-Paul Stone 1147969
Posted
Posted

I have been playing FSX on a Dell inspiron 6000 laptop, with a Pentium M 1.5Ghz processor, 2GB DDR2 Ram and ATI Mobility RADEONX300 graphics controller with 64bit video memory. It wasn't the greatest, but I got 10FPS steadily with the graphics set fairly low. I wanted to get a Desktop to play FS, so I bought a used Dell GX260 tower CPU and added some ram and a DVD drive. The new system I bought has a Pentium 4 2Ghz processor, 2GB DDR ram and an Intel 64Bit Graphics controller. I figured since the new system had a faster processor and around the same amount of RAM and comparable video card I would at least get the same level of game play. Turns out that it is worse. I am lucky to get 7-8 FPS with the sliders almost to Nill. Also, I cant install SP2 for FSX because it says that my graphics card does not have something to do with shading. I figured I need to get a new graphics card, but am not sure what to get. I have been told that I need to get a low profile card, and that it has to be for an AGP slot and I am having a hard time finding on at best buy. I guess my question is, is there anything I can do to get a bit better performance out of the system that I have and does anybody know a video card that would be compatible with my CPU?

Thanks,

A Frustrated flight-simmer in Orange County

Jon-Paul A. Stone

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

A 2Ghz P4 is slower than a 1.5Ghz Pentium-M, and it has onboard graphics.

You're probably best off saving up and buying a new PC. They're a LOT faster than a five-year-old Dell.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.