You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New VFR pilot to VATSIM having a good time!

Charles Earl 1148733

Charles Earl 1148733
Posted
Posted

Hellow VATSIM Canada,

I have simmed for some months and always thought VATSIM was probably too technical a place to be for the likes of me. I was a bit intimidated let me tell ya. With the hopes of one day saving enough to get my private license for real, FSX has to be enough for now. I have the new ORBX PNW scenery (Oregon up through Washington and into BC) which is incredible! Especially paired with REX 2.0 and VATSIMS weather system. Amazing how much reality you can have in your living room these days.

In real life I do talk to a few pilots and have listened to a little real ATC here and there but don't pretend to understand it all to be honest. FSX has taught me some of it I guess. I finally got the nerve to download and install FSInn and create an account on VATSIM after ripping through the VATIM help Pilot Resource Centre's General and VFR sections. Boy am I glad I did.

Anyway, without rambling on too much, I have been on VATSIM a half dozen times flying in and around Vancouver BC and it has been an absolute pleasure! The people staffing the radios up there have made me feel completely welcome and help whenever I stumble. Very understanding and friendly.

I really hope I can find more GA VFR pilots to come on with me from my bush VA or otherwise. Especially with FSInn because it allows voice over 122.8 UNICOMM for those uncontrolled airports (and yes type it in chat too for those without voice comms).

Looking forward to lots of great flights up there in the future!

Charles (C-FCVE)

Alan Taylor 825557
Posted
Posted

Charles, let me welcome you to the world of VATSIM...glad you have decided to join us. The controllers in Vancouver always strive to be friendly and helpfull...especially to newer members.

The Pacific Northwest (CZVR and ZSE) is renowned for accomdating GA VFR flying and I'm sure you will be able to hook up with similarly minded pilots on the network in the future. If you want a place to start might I suggest http://vatcan.org and/or http://czvr.ca

Blue skies and I hope to see you in the VATSIM sky soon.

VATCAN1

Director, VATSIM - Canada Division

Vancouver,B.C. - YVR

825557.jpg

atc1o.png

VATSIM Supervisor

• 2 weeks later...
Charles Earl 1148733
Posted
Posted

Thx!

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
I have the new ORBX PNW scenery (Oregon up through Washington and into BC) which is incredible!

Anyway, without rambling on too much, I have been on VATSIM a half dozen times flying in and around Vancouver BC and it has been an absolute pleasure! The people staffing the radios up there have made me feel completely welcome and help whenever I stumble. Very understanding and friendly.

Looking forward to lots of great flights up there in the future!

As someone who recently graduated to Tower Controller in the Vancouver FIR, I can vouch for their friendliness, too

B.C. was made for VFR flights; so much beautiful scenery to be found here. If we're welcoming, it's partly 'cause we want to share this gorgeous part of the world with everyone.

I hope to see you when I'm on Tower. I'm often on in the afternoons, when it's a little quieter, so if you need any [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance, I'm usually able to chat and help.

Also, if you want any circuit practice, look me up! I've developed a penchant for controlling circuits. Must've been that crazy test they put me through

8942.png