You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New USB Headset - Aircraft uncontrollable

Mario Pozzetti 892293

Mario Pozzetti 892293
Posted
Posted

This is a very specific problem so please forgive me but I really need to sort it out.

I’m running X-Plane 7.62 at extreme resolution, I’ve plenty of RAM, VRAM and HD space. My fps are very high.

I also use CH Yoke and Pedals, both USB, which work fine.

All the above is relevant because, yesterday I installed a USB Headset which allows me to listen to Vatsim ATC voice and also speak through the mike, at the same time I hear the engines noise from the normal speakers, an ideal situation. The headset is connected to a PCI card USB door and the controls are hooked to a USB HUB.

Here is the problem: since yesterday, after a few minutes of leveled flight, for no apparent reason, the aircraft (just about any) starts pitching up and suddenly I have no control over the autopilot, even hand flying it becomes almost impossible. Twice I was forced to disconnect from Vatsim because of that.

Does anyone have a clue as what might be happening?

Thank you in advance.

Mario Pozzetti LISBON

XP-Italia Staff -GoodWay Team

VATITA AIR 020

Imagination is more important than knowledge... (Albert Einstein)

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Exactly just clue and a guess.

USB headset send a lot of information, I can guess Windows suddanly get it as "I think I found the CH Yoke at an other USB-port", and reading new fault control-data cause an AP override and strange steering. I guess it doesn't help you if you cant get Windows to understand that CH Yoke is at fixed USB-port.

Could try a fligth with disable Joystick in FS, just to see if this is the issue.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Mario Pozzetti 892293
Posted
Posted

It certainly makes a lot of sense, any suggestions? BTW i use X-Plane

Mario Pozzetti LISBON

VATITA AIR 020

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

> any suggestions?

Could also verify this issue by move the yoke to an other port during flight, and see if Windows re-detect the yoke.

Solution could be to stop some service, such as PnP, auto-detect of devices, (I don't know) and this after boot when yoke/headset has been detected.

However I do not know what service to be stopped.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Mario Pozzetti 892293
Posted
Posted

I think I may have solved the problem, but it’s perhaps too soon to be 100% sure. I installed a four-port USB2-PCI card to which I connected the Yoke, Pedals and Headset. I have a second USB card but it’s 1.1 plus a couple of built in ports and one USB Hub. To all those I simply connect not-so-sensitive equipment. I tried a short flight with Vatsim and everything went well. As I said it may too soon to start fireworks but we’ll see. My guess is (this is mostly feedback from knowledgeable people) that one should avoid connecting sensitive equipment to hubs on the one side and since the equipment is continuously flowing information back and forth, they should be connected to a fast reliable port. Let’s see how it works in the next few days. Thank you all for your interest.

Mario Pozzetti LISBON

VATITA AIR 020

Norm Hare 907837
Posted
Posted

I suspect you may have solved your issue by adding the second interface. The problem with USB is that each device on a single interface contends for the "bandwidth" of that interface. By adding a second interface you have eliminated (or partially eliminated) that problem. Some computer motherboards actually have several USB busses built in, but you would have to check the specs to see which ports are controlled by which bus.

Norm