You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Will it run?

Ivan Kovacevic 920456

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Probably the most asked question since FSX was released... will this PC be able to run FSX in a regular VATSIMmer's environment (payware aircraft, payware scenery, online weather, squawkbox...)

The PC is:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-750 (Quad Core)
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD4
  • RAM: Mushkin Blackline 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL7
  • Graphics: Sapphire Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5

Anyone got a similar configuration and running FSX that could share a few experiences/results?

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Probably the most asked question since FSX was released... will this PC be able to run FSX in a regular VATSIMmer's environment (payware aircraft, payware scenery, online weather, squawkbox...)

The PC is:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-750 (Quad Core)
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD4
  • RAM: Mushkin Blackline 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL7
  • Graphics: Sapphire Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5

Anyone got a similar configuration and running FSX that could share a few experiences/results?

Once again, I would think so. But I'd play it safe and drop another 2 or 4GB in (or just wait until the prices start to come down), and kick the OS up to Windows 7 64bit. [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you have 2 normal speed SATA drives (read: 7800RPM or slower), you're only going to pull around 219W with what you have listed. dropping in another 2 sticks of memory will push you to 225W, which is nothing. But I wouldn't run FSX without anything less than 4GB on the board, with 8GB preferred.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply Brad.

I am already using W7 x64, and I'm somewhat doubtful about adding more RAM would do anything in terms of FSX performance itself. After all, with FS9 I usually have less than 2GB used up anyway (2GB free)...

My current setup actually uses about 200W less than what my PSU can supply, so that's guaranteed not to have a problem.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the reply Brad.

I am already using W7 x64, and I'm somewhat doubtful about adding more RAM would do anything in terms of FSX performance itself. After all, with FS9 I usually have less than 2GB used up anyway (2GB free)...

My current setup actually uses about 200W less than what my PSU can supply, so that's guaranteed not to have a problem.

You should be fine. I was thinking of antoher 2 - 4GB just for anything you want to multitask with FSX also running. I'm not sure how much FSX will take up when you throw in any additional add-ons you have, heavy scenery, etc. But say that you also want to stream something from iTunes, or LiveATC through iTunes.. that's another memory hog in itself (iTunes, not the stream), so I don't know how much FSX will take up, versus how much memory you'd need to run something else along with FSX.

Just something to think about..

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller