You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question about defining sectors

Nigil Lee 1068478

Nigil Lee 1068478
Posted
Posted

I was wondering if and how a person can define a sector made of sectors in Euroscope. I.e. I have a sector called JFKArea15 and one called JFKArea16a and I want to put them together into one NY_CAM_APP_SECT sector so that the two areas will be able to have different altitudes. Is this possible?

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

It is, but you might want to do something else instead.

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that JFKArea15 and JFKArea16 are both defined in separate SECTORLINEs. If you have two different blocks of airspace, and you want to say "both of these are mine", then all you need to do is to define two SECTORs, each with a different airspace, but both with the same name.

However, I can only think of one reason why you would have a single SECTORLINEs that would be used as a BORDER by two different SECTORs: If, for that block of airspace, one sector owns the airspace close to the ground, and another sector owns above.

This situation appears in Indianapolis Center with Cincinnati approach and Dayton approach. Cincinnati approach owns SFC-13,000 around KCVG, but north-east of KCVG is KILN, which is owned by Dayton approach. Around KILN, Dayton approach owns SFC-10,000, and Cincinnati approach owns 10,001-13,000. To implement this, I created a SECTORLINE for the area around KILN; a SECTORLINE for Cincinnati approach, but without the area around KILN; and a SECTORLINE for Dayton approach, but without the area around KILN. Both CVG_APP and DAY_APP have two SECTOR entries: CVG_APP has a SECTOR entry where the border is the Cincinnati approach border (without KILN) from SFC to 13,000; CVG_APP has a second SECTOR entry, where the border is the KILN area from 10,001 to 13,000; DAY_APP has a SECTOR entry where the border is the Dayton approach border (without KILN) from SFC to 10,000; and DAY_APP has a second SECTOR entry where the border is the KILN area from SFC to 10,000.

In summary, yes, a given SECTOR can have multiple BORDERS or altitudes, you just need to create different SECTORs that share the same name, but be careful when you do!

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Nigil Lee 1068478
Posted
Posted

Ah! I understand and it works. Thank you very much