You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

COPX question

Steve Hall 988156

Steve Hall 988156
Posted
Posted

Just wondering if it is possible to establish a COPX based on an altitude only without a corresponding fix.

For example an aircraft departing under control from a non radar environment has to be handed over when p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing 11000 ft. Is it possible to do this without a fix?

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Simply for the present time, NO.

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

I would also be interested in this in a future update to ES. There are lots of such LoA's in Norway

Alexander Cohrs
Posted
Posted

But somehow you got to define an area anyway, because otherwise you would be offered that aircraft even if it's far outside your airspace. Maybe additionally defining an DME inbound/outbound the departing or arriving airport in the ESE file instead of a waypoint would be an option in this case? Let's say a command like DGAA60 for a 60 miles range around Accra International?

This would also be interesting for us, because not every airway leading to our airports has an waypoint at the TMA boarder.

Alex

gen.php?img=_5_1&cid=899395

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted
But somehow you got to define an area anyway

Why? Is it not enough that an aircraft is to leave controller 1's area and into controller 2's area? If the statement is true, then the altitude LoA is displayed.

Eivind

Steve Hall 988156
Posted
Posted

We are having a few problems getting some COPX's to show correctly. Additionally when trying to manually coordinate a new COPX it only shows in the scratch pad and not as a coordination request to the next controller.

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that if the COPX point is not listed in the flight plan then it will not show.

Here is one of the COPX's we have probs with.

COPX:*:*:PEAKS:*:*:NZCH-R_CTR:NZCH_APP:*:*:PEAKS

This is trying to define a handover point at PEAKS between Christchurch control and Christchurch approach.

According to Wiki column 4 is the departure airport or fix before. What does fix before mean exactly? Does it mean a fix before the COPX?

To me the COPX line above means that if the aircraft has PEAKS in the flight plan then when the aircraft is tagged by NZCH-R_CTR the COPX should show as PEAKS. NZCH_APP should have a COPN of PEAKS.

Is this correct?

• 2 weeks later...
Steve Hall 988156
Posted
Posted

Can a COPX point just be defined as a point in the ESE file that is not real world? If so what triggers the proximity to it? When the aircraft approaches that defined point?

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted
Can a COPX point just be defined as a point in the ESE file that is not real world? If so what triggers the proximity to it? When the aircraft approaches that defined point?

You can't defined it in the ESE file. But the point can be defined in the sct/sct2 file. ES detects a position report when the track is >5nm.

Steve Hall 988156
Posted
Posted

You can't defined it in the ESE file. But the point can be defined in the sct/sct2 file. ES detects a position report when the track is >5nm.

Just so I am interpreting this correctly. If there is presently no fix on the boundary, where a handover should take place, then I can create a fix at that point, in the sct2 file, and declare it as a COPX point and it would be treated as such by Euroscope. I take it that the aircraft's flight plan still has to project to have it flying over, or within 5 nm of it, in order for it to show on the tag or lists as a typical COPX point.

Many thanks for your time in responding to these questions.

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Just so I am interpreting this correctly. If there is presently no fix on the boundary, where a handover should take place, then I can create a fix at that point, in the sct2 file, and declare it as a COPX point and it would be treated as such by Euroscope. I take it that the aircraft's flight plan still has to project to have it flying over, or within 5 nm of it, in order for it to show on the tag or lists as a typical COPX point.

Many thanks for your time in responding to these questions.

Yes you can defind it in the sct2 file and use it as a COPX. BUT in order to ES take it into account it should be part of the FP route (from the airway or as a fix in it). Else ES will not flag it as p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed or even as a COPX for that flight. So can do the following things: the point should be part in a STAR/SID; you have to add it in the Airways.txt file from FSNavigator; add it manually every time in the FP; give direct to that point to every aircraft.

We are thinking to add a dynamic point, created by the ES when the path of a track is not through a defined COPX (as some new ATM systems).....