You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sector ownership and highlights

Ervins Reinverts

Ervins Reinverts
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I am working on an ESE file for our sector. As just a few days ago I was not very familiar with the SCT and ESE files, it didn't come easy, but after quite some reading of the ES wiki and a bit of the forum, I managed to get almost everything to work and now it is looking and working pretty good.

But there is one thing that got me confused and into some logical dead end.

Here is our sector when I am online as a _CTR and noone else around or inside is:

ES_EVRR_alone.jpg

So far, so good. And when the _APP comes online, I get the following picture:

ES_EVRR_and_APP.jpg

Side note - TMA sector borders with neighbouring FIRs in our zone, north and south as you can see

So the problem with this is than not only TMA borders with _CTR zone are being highlighted, but also borders for two tower sectors in the area, and also a GND sector (not seen in this scale).

I can perfectly see the logic here - for the TWR sector, besides him, it is also owned by an APP and if that is offline, the CTR. But for me as a _CTR it makes no sense as I would never need to do a handoff on the TWR border if APP is online.

The situation is even more awkward if I am alone as an APP and the _CTR comes online, those TWR and GND sectors also light up, one might think that we've got a full staff here while its not so.

I have a feeling that I am missing something very basic here, but what it is? Any help would be appreciated and sorry if this seems to be kind of stupid question.

If that makes sense, here is how the sectorlines are defined, here is one of the lines that separates APP and CTR zones:

SECTORLINE:SCL_RA_RC_E

DISPLAY:EVRA_APP:EVRA_APP:EVRR

DISPLAY:EVRR:EVRR:EVRA_APP

And here the one for TWR zone:

SECTORLINE:SCL_RT

DISPLAY:EVRA_TWR:EVRA_TWR:EVRA_APP

DISPLAY:EVRA_TWR:EVRA_TWR:EVRR

DISPLAY:EVRA_APP:EVRA_APP:EVRA_TWR

DISPLAY:EVRR:EVRR:EVRA_TWR

And this is what TWR sector ownership looks like:

SECTOR:EVRA_TWR:0:2500

OWNER:RT:RA:RC

BORDER:SCL_RT

(RT, RA, RC - Tower, Approach and Center respectively)

Ervins

963676.jpg

balt.png

C1 controller EVRR & EETT FIR; BALT, EURN & EURE UIRs

Follow EVRR_FIR on Twitter at http://twitter.com/evrr_fir

Martin Bergin 931070
Posted
Posted
Hi,

And here the one for TWR zone:

SECTORLINE:SCL_RT

DISPLAY:EVRA_TWR:EVRA_TWR:EVRA_APP

DISPLAY:EVRA_TWR:EVRA_TWR:EVRR

DISPLAY:EVRA_APP:EVRA_APP:EVRA_TWR

DISPLAY:EVRR:EVRR:EVRA_TWR

And this is what TWR sector ownership looks like:

SECTOR:EVRA_TWR:0:2500

OWNER:RT:RA:RC

BORDER:SCL_RT

(RT, RA, RC - Tower, Approach and Center respectively)

If the sector EVRR owns EVRA_APP when EVRA_APP is offline then the bolded lines are not needed as EVRR automaticilly owns the EVRA_APP sector. Try removing these and it should work out as you want.

Ervins Reinverts
Posted
Posted

Wow, thanks! Now it works just like I want it to. Sure, had to implement similar changes to the other TWR and EVRA_GND lines as well. So this is now solved, thanks a lot!

The only thing that I still am unable solve is with a TMA in neighbouring FIR. In EETT there is Kuressaare TMA (EEKE) which borders with our FIR and EEKE_TWR is responsible for it for flight levels up to 095. I have defined its inner border (the one that does not touch our one), to see if it is online even when EETT_CTR is on.

ES_EVRR_EEKE.jpg

So, with my current configuration, EEKE sector shows nicely if only EEKE_TWR is online. As soon as EETT_CTR comes online, EEKE sector gets lit as well, regardless of its TWR presence.

The inner line is defined like this:

SECTORLINE:EEKE_CLO

DISPLAY:EVRR:EVRR:EEKE

and its sector definition:

SECTOR:EEKE:0:9500

OWNER:KET:TC

BORDER:EVRR_EEKE:EEKE_CLO

where KET=EEKE_TWR, TC=EETT_CTR

So, as one might guess, I would like EEKE inner border not to light up when EETT is online, but EEKE is off.

Thanks in advance.

Ervins

963676.jpg

balt.png

Ervins Reinverts
Posted
Posted

Got the second problem solved too, posting it here so if someone finds this thread, it is kind of "finished".

The solution was to remove TC (EETT_CTR) from owners of EEKE sector, as the EEKE is anyway a part of EETT.

Now the highlighting is done correctly and also handoff works correctly according to FL and depending on which of neighbours controllers are on. Thanks again for the help!

Ervins

963676.jpg

balt.png

Ervins Reinverts
Posted
Posted

Now with aforementioned things sorted out, the sectorfile is pretty much finished for now, but to really call it done, I decided to implement one more thing that is here.

And that is, division of the CTR sector. Normally there is only one CTR position in our FIR, the EVRR_CTR. But there can be also an EVRR_E_CTR which takes control over eastern and central part of FIR. I feel it is something similar to what we can find in the wiki Tutorial section, but in that example, the lower sectors can each have their own _CTR position, while in our case, there is no EVRR_W_CTR on Vatsim (the airspace is actually divided in three parts in real life, the Western sector is split in S and N as well).

So, if we don't have E_CTR online, entire FIR is controlled by _CTR, and W part does not exist as separate entity, it is allways owned by EVRR_CTR.

What would be the correct way to implement this?

Ervins

963676.jpg

balt.png

• 2 weeks later...
Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

SECTOR:WEST:...

OWNER:VC(:VCE)

BORDER:...

SECTOR:EAST:...

OWNER:VCE:VC

BORDER:...

where VC=EVRR_CTR, VCE=EVRR_E_CTR

Simply define the owner in the correct order. I always suggest to implement full redundancy, so have East also cover the western sector if only east is online. It can always happen that west has to go offline first, and it does not really make sense to have east switch position in that case.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide