You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

TWR Trainer Commands + Squawk Code Allocation problem

Brendan Chen 943434

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I've recently gotten a copy of the TWR Trainer, made a .air (A/C file), but I can't seemed to get the squawk code which I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned on the file to display on VRC. For example, I may have squawk code 2025 [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to an aircraft on the .air file, but it will not display on the flight strip.

My second problem is that I don't quite understand the example given on metacraft, where I need to set up the communication frequency. Because of this, I can't understand how I must set up my VRC and TWR Trainer frequencies so that I may use the commands such as 'add'.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brendan

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

672A68079898-1_zps98cef54d.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I've recently gotten a copy of the TWR Trainer, made a .air (A/C file), but I can't seemed to get the squawk code which I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned on the file to display on VRC. For example, I may have squawk code 2025 [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to an aircraft on the .air file, but it will not display on the flight strip.

The squawk code specified in the air file is not an [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned squawk code (like you would get with F9 in VRC) ... it is just the code that the aircraft will be squawking when first connected to the network.

My second problem is that I don't quite understand the example given on metacraft, where I need to set up the communication frequency. Because of this, I can't understand how I must set up my VRC and TWR Trainer frequencies so that I may use the commands such as 'add'.

You need to set up an entry in VRC's comms panel using the frequency TWRTrainer is configured to listen for commands on. By default it is 199.997. Set up the comms panel entry just the same as you would for any regular ATC frequency. Select that frequency for transmitting, and then type your TWRTrainer commands on VRC's command line, and they will be sent to the TWRTrainer aircraft.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross for the reply.

Also, are there any ways that I can disable the initial server search during start up without disconnecting the internet? As I tried adding sweatbox server to 'servers.txt', everytime the server search algorithm takes place, it replaces my edited 'servers.txt', and I tried to make the file read-only, that also doesn't work, therefore I cannot see my 'sweatbox.vatsim.net SWEATBOX' line.

Thanks

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
Thanks Ross for the reply.

Also, are there any ways that I can disable the initial server search during start up without disconnecting the internet? As I tried adding sweatbox server to 'servers.txt', everytime the server search algorithm takes place, it replaces my edited 'servers.txt', and I tried to make the file read-only, that also doesn't work, therefore I cannot see my 'sweatbox.vatsim.net SWEATBOX' line.

Thanks

create a new file named "MyServers.txt" and add the sweatbox server info to it and save it in the VRC directory

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Great, that works perfectly!

Finally, if I have my frequency set up to be equivalent to my TWR Trainer frequency, how do I expect to maintain voice communication with the student while textually [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning the aircraft with commands?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I have set it up is that I enable Tx and Rx for my frequency with TWR Trainer,and have another frequency set up with Tx, Rx and HDST activated with the student. The problem is having this done, will enable me to talk to the student while issuing command to the bots. But I do not wish for the student to see my commands, so are there any ways that I can set up my communication panel without having to swap between frequencies during operation?

Also is there a way to change the refresh rate? Or is it fixed?

Thanks

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You could have the student on a separate text freq, but both of you on the same voice channel.

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Don't select PRIM but select TX and RX manually. Then the student won't see the commands. The down side of this method is that you can't train on text handling, only voice.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Don't select PRIM but select TX and RX manually. Then the student won't see the commands. The down side of this method is that you can't train on text handling, only voice.

Setting your primary doesn't affect what the student can or cannot see.

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Sorry, my mistake. If you set PRIM, the student can see what frequency you are on and can tune that frequency and see the commands.

By not setting PRIM you can keep the frequency the commands are on a secret shared between blip drivers but not the student. I think I'm right in saying if PRIM is not set, a controller's frequency is always shown as 199.998

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
I think I'm right in saying if PRIM is not set, a controller's frequency is always shown as 199.998

yup

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Sorry, my mistake. If you set PRIM, the student can see what frequency you are on and can tune that frequency and see the commands.

By not setting PRIM you can keep the frequency the commands are on a secret shared between blip drivers but not the student. I think I'm right in saying if PRIM is not set, a controller's frequency is always shown as 199.998

Oh, I gotcha ... you were talking about what the student sees in his controller list, not what radio text he sees. Yes, that's right.

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Thanks a lot for the help guys, it works now. Cheers

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!