You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Relocating FSX Folder to Another Drive

Moshe Mizrahi

Moshe Mizrahi
Posted
Posted

Currently my FSX folder is on physical disk "F" (it's the only thing installed there). I would like to take out this HDD so I need to move FSX folder to another HDD. I have windows 7 running on a WD VelociRaptor "C" and have another empty 7200 RPM HDD I can use. Have several issues I'm not sure about:

Can I move FSX as is without re-install? if Yes, then can I move it to be on the W7 raptor? will it be better to put it with the W7 on the raptor or is it better to put it on a separate 7200 RPM drive? if i move it to another disk, should i tweak that disk to have the same position on the MB and the letter "F" as well?

I appreciate an advise about how to do it right! Thanks a lot.

Moshe Mizrahi

VATIL : Virtual is the new Reality

Otrokovice to Haifa Virtual Flight Trip with a Cessna 152

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Currently my FSX folder is on physical disk "F" (it's the only thing installed there). I would like to take out this HDD so I need to move FSX folder to another HDD. I have windows 7 running on a WD VelociRaptor "C" and have another empty 7200 RPM HDD I can use. Have several issues I'm not sure about:

Can I move FSX as is without re-install? if Yes, then can I move it to be on the W7 raptor? will it be better to put it with the W7 on the raptor or is it better to put it on a separate 7200 RPM drive? if i move it to another disk, should i tweak that disk to have the same position on the MB and the letter "F" as well?

I appreciate an advise about how to do it right! Thanks a lot.

The drive performance is a significant factor in FSX performance. So I'd install FSX on the fastest drive.

I don't think you can easily move FSX's installation from one drive to another. There are many registry values that are dependent on the installation drive. Trying to edit all the pertinent registry values might introduce even more unexpected side effects.

There is a Flight Simulator tool on Flight One that might help with the registry sorting out. But I personally believe you'd do better by uninstalling and reinstalling it to your preferred drive. If you have unrelated issues you might be left often wondering is it normal behavior of symptoms of having moved FSX and edited the registry.

FS9 was a much simpler matter.

If you've installed the service packs to FSX that will cause even more issues of trying to reinstall over a current installation to preserve various settings. The service patches are very much dependent on clean states of the previous versions.

Edit: By the way, I'm not saying it can't be done. There might be others that can advise you a safe way to do it. Just from my personal experience, I believe an uninstall/reinstall would be substantially easier. If someone has an easy method otherwise, I'll test it for future reference.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Moshe, I am 90% sure you can't do it. I have successfully moved and used FS9 many many times, but not even once with FSX. It always fails in some ways. Like Larry pointed out, there are many registry keys that just don't help it, and if you had payware, then you might as well forget it. Then again, this is my experience!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Moshe Mizrahi
Posted
Posted

Thanks a lot for your answers. Since I need that HDD drive in order to move forward to a faster computer I want to keep the FSX running only for reference until the new installation is done and not for best performance. So since moving it to disk "C" looks like a big mess, I will try and do the following:

1. Copy disk "F" to the empty 7200 RPM drive

2. Cross their connections on the MB so the new disk will have the original SATA location

3. If not already automatically set, I will tweak the new drive letter to be "F"

4. Reboot and start FSX from the new drive

This way is easy to rollback in case of problems.

Do you think this will work? Did you try something similar before?

Moshe Mizrahi

VATIL : Virtual is the new Reality

Otrokovice to Haifa Virtual Flight Trip with a Cessna 152

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

it might work but i have my doubts as the windows registry is very Finicky.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Not to be negative, but in my case, my FSX always sat on its own drive which had nothing to do with the OS drive/partition. Still FSX would not load up. If by chance you do get it up, at the least it will ask you for registration. BTW, remember to backup your FSX.cfg and other files in that folder, it might be of some help!! And good luck, lots of it

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1