You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sector definitions

Steve Hall 988156

Steve Hall 988156
Posted
Posted

If you have an approach TMA wholly within a control area (CTR) should the CTR sector definition include or exclude the approach TMA (they both go up to the same level). Or should there be a whole in the CTR sector where the approach area is as in the pictures below. Sorry but no idea why they wont post at 640 x 480 size.

Euro2.jpg

Euro1.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

When building a sector, you should start from the inside/bottom to outside/top sectors. Can you explain where is the hole in the picture?

Steve Hall 988156
Posted
Posted

The APP TMA is the small circular area and the CTR the larger area. Should the CTR definition look like the top picture or the bottom picture. Both areas control up to 60000 ft so the CTR does not go over the APP TMA. That is why I am [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that the sector definition should look like the second picture as opposed to if say the TMA stopped at 20000 ft then the CTR would control over the top and the sector definition would resemble the first picture. The hole I was referring to was the APP TMA.

When building a sector, you should start from the inside/bottom to outside/top sectors. Can you explain where is the hole in the picture?

Sorry I dont follow the start/ finish points. I just thought that as long as the sectorlines follow on in a clockwise or anti clockwise direction in sequence that it did not matter where you start or finish.

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

OK if both the CTR and the APP control to 60000ft, then you should do it as in the second picture. About the sequence, I didn't mean the points definition, I was referring that it is a good practice to star developing the TWR sector, then the APP and the CTR.

Steve Hall 988156
Posted
Posted

Ah Ok. That is currently how we are doing it. Many thanks Todor.

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Normally you should not define overlapping areas in the ESE file. It is easier to understand if they are unique. But there is also a fixed logic inside ES that is used in sector definition and will not be changed. When you define your sectors ES will test them in the very same order. And whenever a point is found to be inside a sector no other sectors are tested. In this way if you start with the smaller area (APP in your case) and the then define CTR as a whole (including APP sector area too) then the result will be the same. All points inside APP sector will be treated as APP sector (as it is the first in the list).

The only difference (in your case when both go up to FL600 - that is quite unique I guess) is that in the second case APP area will be shown with different background color.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer