You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sector ownership set up

Steve Hall 988156

Steve Hall 988156
Posted
Posted

Under the Other set menu/ Sector ownership setup when a sector is changed from the default setting so that I own it should the sector line (with an adjacent active sector) illuminate for both controllers? I can see the sector line but the other cant. The way I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it works is the same as if the ownership hierarchy under owner in the Sector definition was set as me to own it.

Many thanks

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted
Under the Other set menu/ Sector ownership setup when a sector is changed from the default setting so that I own it should the sector line (with an adjacent active sector) illuminate for both controllers? I can see the sector line but the other cant. The way I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it works is the same as if the ownership hierarchy under owner in the Sector definition was set as me to own it.

Many thanks

OK I must admit I didn't get the question.... If you select a sector not belonging to you from the Sector Ownership setup, this is only for your ES. That info is not send via the network or via p2p to the rest of the ES online.

If you just mean that the line is not highlighted in the neighbour controller....then just check the DISPLAY cause in his ESE to see if it correct.

Steve Hall 988156
Posted
Posted

OK I must admit I didn't get the question.... If you select a sector not belonging to you from the Sector Ownership setup, this is only for your ES. That info is not send via the network or via p2p to the rest of the ES online.

If you just mean that the line is not highlighted in the neighbour controller....then just check the DISPLAY cause in his ESE to see if it correct.

You may not have understood the question but you did manage to answer it well thanks

I am surprised that it does not let the other controller know that you now own that sector as I thought that is the whole idea of having the sector line illuminate...to show that an adjacent area is now controlled by another controller and where the handoff area is. I also [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed that it would show the new owner as the next sector controller ID and frequency. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that this does not happen either. I use this feature quite extensively when doing extended coverage....Is there another way to do this?

Should this be explored as a option for the next revision?

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

I got used to the way it is, although I see great potential in a publication over the network. But some tricky problems would have to be solved: different .ese-files between controllers for example...

As an easier addition to the sect. ownership setup I would like to suggest:

I would like to select myself as owner of sectors, even if I am not logged in as a controller that gets mapped to controller ID by the .ese. From time to time (e.g. during mentoring), I am logged in as some callsign and do not get recognized by the .ese as known controller. But I want to monitor/mentor one specific position.

Now we only can set a sector to 1 controller that has an ID as declared in the .ese. I would like to have 'me' in the lists also, preferrably in the first place as this is the most common task I perform in this dialog.

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Jonas that is a good idea, and it was already requested in the beta forum. I also would love to have it.

You may not have understood the question but you did manage to answer it well thanks

I am surprised that it does not let the other controller know that you now own that sector as I thought that is the whole idea of having the sector line illuminate...to show that an adjacent area is now controlled by another controller and where the handoff area is. I also [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed that it would show the new owner as the next sector controller ID and frequency. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that this does not happen either. I use this feature quite extensively when doing extended coverage....Is there another way to do this?

Should this be explored as a option for the next revision?

Well the idea of the line is to show YOU that adjacent area is now controlled by another controller, by the definitions in the ESE. From the Sector Ownership setup you are basicly overwriting YOUR ese file, but the other party has no way to know that and as Jonas said you can't know what ese file and definition it has. The idea for the Sector Ownership setup is if there is some bug in the ese file, to tell ES what sectors should be yours, so you can have the correct info and functions.