You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Which Laptop to buy for my FS9?

Chris Dalton 1154445

Chris Dalton 1154445
Posted
Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

cheap and best dont always go together

is a laptop the only thing you are interested in?

i ask cause laptops generally dont allow for major upgrades later, so once you get it, you are pretty much stuck with what you get, other then ram and hard drive, usually the only things you can upgrade later. video cards are hardly ever upgradeable on laptops, unless you have it custom designed, you might get lucky doing upgrades later.

not a biggy with the current state of FS since itll be a long while before another version comes out.

just something to think about before buying, make sure its got what you need, cause its pretty much what youll be stuck with.

i also used my laptop for FS9

Intel Pentium M 1.6

2bg RAM

Intel R 915gm express chipset video card

it did ok with FS9. couldnt handle high detailed scenery tho, not at full sliders anyway. i normally had my sliders maxed as long as i wasnt in heavy traffic or high density areas like NY.

ive since upgraded with a PC i built myself, with the help of a friend

Chris Dalton 1154445
Posted
Posted

Well my brother works in the technological area and he works on a labtop and can probably upgrade mine on his own

4748118734_6b84006d38.jpg

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

as far as FS9 goes, the one you linked to looks like itll do better then mine did, not sure by how much tho.

if you want to move up to FSX/Xplane in the future tho, not sure how good those will handle on it, least on full sliders (not required, but IMO no point to upgrade if you cant run full sliders )

Lukas Kusiak 1016006
Posted
Posted

Just curious, has anyone tried the Mac line for FS? Some one told me a while ago that the Macbook Pro was good for FS if you have all the peripherals...

Lukas Kusiak

CZWG Winnipeg FIR Instructor

7508.png

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

The most important thing is a dedicated video card and vram. And MAC Book pro doesn't short you in that area. My friends has a 9600 main chip and a 9500 chip for low power usage. Apple is good in that sense that they charge you in advance for a feature you didn't even know you needed. Better than buying the other brands and realizing there is no upgrade path as mentioned earlier.

My advice use newegg.com at least you can filter out the machines that have a dedicated card. And I highly doubt you'll find one for less than $500. I paid $600 just last year, and that was an older model they removed the bluray drive from.

Mirza Ibrahimovic
Posted
Posted

I dunno if this will help, but this is a proof that there is hope even for the low budget buyers:

I bought here in Denmark a Packard Bell laptop on offer for 4000 DKK / 530 EUR which I use on FS9 with max settings and medium to heavy addons, flying it on 2 screens (LCD 32" and the laptop 17" screen for pedestal, throttle etc) at 80fps but locked on 40fps, and with internet browser, MSN and vroute/servinfo on. It is even delivered with the sceptic FS9 "not have" Vista, but running with out any problems what so ever even for 6 months. Though its total score is 4,8 out of 6 due to [Mod - lovely stuff]py processor, but ok graphics (5,9), plenty of RAM (5,7) etc:

packard-bell-easynote--lj65-dt-132.jpg

Original Windows Vista® Home Premium, upgrade to Windows 7 for 13 EUR admin fee (which I never updated/bought).

412mmx280mmx38.6mm, 3.3Kg

AMD ATHLONX2 QL-65 2.1GHz <- the low score reason, 4,8, but acts ok, never gets at the top on processing.

SATA 500GB 5400 rpm <- also pitty not a 7200 rpm but no problems at all, score 5,7.

CD-RW / DVD-RW DVD SUPERMULTI SATA

4GB DDR2 RAM <- pitty not DDR3, but not for that money, score 5,7

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD4650 1024/2303 MB <- this and the 4GB (DDR2) RAM is a good thing, scores allmost 6/max.

Integrated video

17.3" Widescreen

1600x900 LED

Integrated sound

10/100 LAN

WIFI : Yes

4 x USB 2.0

HDMI

Numpad keyboard

More info

Graphic chart benchmark:

3DMark 05 in comparison