You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[FS9] - Crashes upon exit, "Fatal error" etc

Mattias Albinsson 1154905

Posted
Posted

Hey all

I got tired of all .. stuff .. lying around on my computer, so I did a recovery ("manufacturer-computer", can't format properly)

Anyway, I'm trying to get back through everything with Flight Simulator 2004, and after some tweaking to get my controls-settings back, FsInn, FsCopilot etc. I get an error after exiting fs9.

First I thought - I saw this before I did the recovery, it suddenly started appearing, and I didn't care about it.

But, now after this recovery, it's still there, and again I thougt "Still here, eh? But Fs is still working through.."

So I flew with this, for some minutes, when I realised something was wrong - My graphics were set too high for my computer (yes yes, old video-card etc).

Again, I though "Well, something must have bugged during all the setups", So i set up all the graphics, a second time, toghether with some general setting (Don't pause when minimalized)

I finished my short flight, exited, got the "Fatal Error" or whatever it says, unmarked "restart Flight Simulator 2004" and clicked "Don't send".

After some minutes I wanted to try something, and went back into FS, and started a flight.

But, again, all the settings were gone

After some testing, I found out that my settings don't save when the game crashes, so I have to set all graphical settings up again.

- For Your notification, this probably started occuring after installing FSInn and FSCopilot, according to here: viewtopic.php?t=47901 -

- Another notification-info: I seem to be able to close the game normally (and save settings) if I don't start a flight, but this is a work-around, not a fix -

There doesn't seem to be any "How-to-post" for this forum, so I'll try giving all the info on my own

At first, dxdiag windows, with nice translations

100619fs9helpme1.JPG

100619fs9helpme2.JPG

Well, what's more to give?

Fs2004, not patched (There seems to be a 9.1 patch?), but it wasn't pathced earlier either and then it was working.

All the needed updates (drivers etc.) should be installed:

- Graphics card latest drivers

- Microsoft NET 3.5 (Don't know if this one is needed, but it caused problems at an earlier recovery with another "game")

- DirectX 9.0c

- No updates shows in Windows Update (except IE 8 and some others, like a search toolbar etc.)

Remind me if there's more to be said here

Thanks in advance for helping to track this one down

//M

Flying GA VFR

555353871.jpg

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Hey all

I got tired of all .. stuff .. lying around on my computer, so I did a recovery ("manufacturer-computer", can't format properly)

Anyway, I'm trying to get back through everything with Flight Simulator 2004, and after some tweaking to get my controls-settings back, FsInn, FsCopilot etc. I get an error after exiting fs9.

First I thought - I saw this before I did the recovery, it suddenly started appearing, and I didn't care about it.

But, now after this recovery, it's still there, and again I thougt "Still here, eh? But Fs is still working through.."

So I flew with this, for some minutes, when I realised something was wrong - My graphics were set too high for my computer (yes yes, old video-card etc).

Again, I though "Well, something must have bugged during all the setups", So i set up all the graphics, a second time, toghether with some general setting (Don't pause when minimalized)

I finished my short flight, exited, got the "Fatal Error" or whatever it says, unmarked "restart Flight Simulator 2004" and clicked "Don't send".

After some minutes I wanted to try something, and went back into FS, and started a flight.

But, again, all the settings were gone

After some testing, I found out that my settings don't save when the game crashes, so I have to set all graphical settings up again.

- For Your notification, this probably started occuring after installing FSInn and FSCopilot, according to here: viewtopic.php?t=47901 -

- Another notification-info: I seem to be able to close the game normally (and save settings) if I don't start a flight, but this is a work-around, not a fix -

There doesn't seem to be any "How-to-post" for this forum, so I'll try giving all the info on my own

At first, dxdiag windows, with nice translations

Well, what's more to give?

Fs2004, not patched (There seems to be a 9.1 patch?), but it wasn't pathced earlier either and then it was working.

All the needed updates (drivers etc.) should be installed:

- Graphics card latest drivers

- Microsoft NET 3.5 (Don't know if this one is needed, but it caused problems at an earlier recovery with another "game")

- DirectX 9.0c

- No updates shows in Windows Update (except IE 8 and some others, like a search toolbar etc.)

Remind me if there's more to be said here

Thanks in advance for helping to track this one down

//M

Hi, Mattias. It's unlikely you'd have problems if you follow closely the steps provided in the stickies in the FSInn Help forum. This is the wrong forum for FSInn. Look at the stickies in this fourm. It used to tell the users to use the FSInn Help forum for FSInn and the Squawkbox Help forum for Squawkbox. At present is says the messages will be moved, but, it'd be best if you just visit it yourself and see how all the issues by all the posted messages are resolved but doing one thing, following the steps provided in the stickies.

This will most likely save you a lot of time and aggravation.

Looking at the two messages of the bold item #1 of the please read sticky will help you with annoyances that you problem would never think was an issue, or know words to describe. The two messages are generated from 4 years of uses' input.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Posted
Posted
[..]

Hi, Mattias. It's unlikely you'd have problems if you follow closely the steps provided in the stickies in the FSInn Help forum. This is the wrong forum for FSInn. Look at the stickies in this fourm. It used to tell the users to use the FSInn Help forum for FSInn and the Squawkbox Help forum for Squawkbox. At present is says the messages will be moved, but, it'd be best if you just visit it yourself and see how all the issues by all the posted messages are resolved but doing one thing, following the steps provided in the stickies.

Well, I kind of based my thoughts on that thread I found earlier. And I wrote this one here, because it isn't FSInn crashing, It's the whole Flight Simulator.

Anyway: I looked in the FSInn sticky, viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20466 , and found this:

Error when Exiting Flight Simulator

Turn off Sky Blue Radio Tuner.

(Addons -> FSCopilot -> Settings -> Tuner -> [click to toggle] Enabled/Disabled)

After some searching, I found it, I think at least:

100619fs9helpme3.JPG

But, the results are .. stunning

100619fs9helpme4.JPG

In other words, It didn't work :S

[...]

The two messages are generated from 4 years of uses' input.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

Actually, as always when things like this happens, my computer tends to be different, and having a "first time ever" error experience

Thanks you anyway

//M

Flying GA VFR

555353871.jpg

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
[..]

Well, I kind of based my thoughts on that thread I found earlier. And I wrote this one here, because it isn't FSInn crashing, It's the whole Flight Simulator.

Anyway: I looked in the FSInn sticky, viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20466 , and found this:

Error when Exiting Flight Simulator

Turn off Sky Blue Radio Tuner.

(Addons -> FSCopilot -> Settings -> Tuner -> [click to toggle] Enabled/Disabled)

After some searching, I found it, I think at least:

But, the results are .. stunning

In other words, It didn't work :S

Thanks again for testing the published fixes and letting us know the results.

Will you test removing the fscopilot.dll module from Flight Simulator’s modules directory (so that you can test Flight Simulator without FSInn loading) to verify if it’s FSInn related?

[...]

The two messages are generated from 4 years of uses' input.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

Actually, as always when things like this happens, my computer tends to be different, and having a "first time ever" error experience

I consider it a great contribution to the community to learn of these differences and how to work with them. While your computer might be different from all the others that work with the published steps, there might come along someone that has one similar to yours. This is what we’ve been doing for the past 4 years, and we’re still collecting the information.

Thanks you anyway

//M

You’re very welcome!

It’s always a pleasure!

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Mattias, if I may suggest, change all graphics settings, or just a couple and then exit without starting a flight. If that exits safely, then your settings will be saved. I still do this to-date anytime I need to make changes (both FSX and FS9). I would say try one or two settings and if you can save them, then proceed with the rest. That way, even if it crashes at the end, your Gx settings are not messed up.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Posted
Posted

(Notice that I tried to remove as many "quote-in-quote-boxes" as possible, it made the posts "blurry", or simply harder to find the info when there were 3 quotes in one box )

[...]

Will you test removing the fscopilot.dll module from Flight Simulator’s modules directory (so that you can test Flight Simulator without FSInn loading) to verify if it’s FSInn related?

Ok, sorry for not beein able to respond today, I wasn't at home, but now I'm back tweaking

Ehm, I "removed" the fscopilot.dll (renamed it by adding .old to the filename), and the game worked fine, and shut down "in a matter of no-time".

But with the file in there, with FSInn, the game "stalls" upon closing down - or how I should explain - All the panels close down, and the window gets black. And after some "thinking", I get the "fatal error etc" thing...

In other words, FSInn is doing wrong somewhere.

I consider it a great contribution to the community to learn of these differences and how to work with them. While your computer might be different from all the others that work with the published steps, there might come along someone that has one similar to yours. This is what we’ve been doing for the past 4 years, and we’re still collecting the information.

Heh, let's see if there will be any "solution" to this, not only work-arounds.

Mattias, if I may suggest, change all graphics settings, or just a couple and then exit without starting a flight. If that exits safely, then your settings will be saved. I still do this to-date anytime I need to make changes (both FSX and FS9). I would say try one or two settings and if you can save them, then proceed with the rest. That way, even if it crashes at the end, your Gx settings are not messed up.

Took me a while to find that out, but actually I've already done that. But still, that's just a work-around, not a solution.

//M

Flying GA VFR

555353871.jpg

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
(Notice that I tried to remove as many "quote-in-quote-boxes" as possible, it made the posts "blurry", or simply harder to find the info when there were 3 quotes in one box )
[...]

Ok, sorry for not beein able to respond today, I wasn't at home, but now I'm back tweaking

Ehm, I "removed" the fscopilot.dll (renamed it by adding .old to the filename), and the game worked fine, and shut down "in a matter of no-time".

But with the file in there, with FSInn, the game "stalls" upon closing down - or how I should explain - All the panels close down, and the window gets black. And after some "thinking", I get the "fatal error etc" thing...

In other words, FSInn is doing wrong somewhere.

Heh, let's see if there will be any "solution" to this, not only work-arounds.

Took me a while to find that out, but actually I've already done that. But still, that's just a work-around, not a solution.

//M

At present, reviewing this thread and the Installation sticky in the FSInn Help forum it appears that you haven't installed the suggested FS9.1 patch.

If you notice any other differences and post a reference to applying them you might post the resolution to your issue. It's work under the conditions presented in the Installation sticky.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky: