You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Headset

Adam White 1051448

Adam White 1051448
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

What type of headsets would you recommend for FS and ATC?

ZLA Pilot Cert I11

Christopher Mauro
Posted
Posted

ATC - H31 st[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t with the SHS2355 PTT adapter

Chris Mauro

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Hey Adam,

About a year and a half ago, I bought a Plantronics St[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t H31 and its accompanying DA40 USB adapter off of eBay. The total cost was around $100, but you can get much cheaper deals than that. The headset is lightweight and doesn't heat up my ears like my old one (a black Logitech USB Skype headset). The lightweightness was key for me because I primarily control on VATSIM, and we generally won't take off the headset for long-hour, high-traffic events.

There are other variants of the H31 that I hear are great, too. There's a lightweight headset model (with the arched frame with two ear speakers on each side), and a more superior version of the H31 called the H31N for noise cancellation purposes.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

any headset really will do. everything else is just personal preference. even the cheap little $5 walmart sets will do just fine, for awhile

once i got tired of breaking the cheapos, i bought my my logitech headset which was around $90 at bestbuy. good sound quality, i dont use the mic much but its good aswell. its a USB headset so allows me to seperate my FS sounds from voice sounds. even has a case to make sure i dont break it and when the nephews over, it gets stored away in a hurry

Adam White 1051448
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the help.

ZLA Pilot Cert I11

tony moseley 1088954
Posted
Posted

i use a microsoft lifechat which is at the bottom end of the market with regards to price, but it does the job.

im amazed at the cost of some of the headsets that you can buy, i agree with ernesto go cheap because i cannot see what a headset costing 5 times as much as my one does will do different except be a little bit more comfy.

in this costly world of fight simming addons and hardware, i can think of better ways of spending my money than an expensive headset, track ir being one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

If you only control I suppose it's easier to justify an expensive headset .

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Hi

I often find the best headsets are the ones that have earphones and a mic to be the best.

No just kidding, mine is a plantronics something or other its about 5 yrs old and is perfect in terms of sound qulity and mic quality, no one ever says they cant hear me unless my mic settings are turned down.

It's actually seen better days and is taped up with electricians tape here and there. Ineed a new set but I know I cant get this model.

Best advice buy whatever youw ant but make sure its USB and not jack plugs. My next one is going to be a Creative wireless headset, I know a few people with these systems and they are superb.

@Ernesto as a controller how come you don't us ethe mic much.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

speech impediment. its got its good days, mostly bad lately

Halldor Bui Jonsson
Posted
Posted
ATC - H31 st[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t with the SHS2355 PTT adapter

200 bucks just for the PTT adapter...sheesh , tempting but ...sheesh.

--------------------

Best regards

--------------------

Halldor

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

The best designs definitely go to SteelSeries... someone put a lot of thought into it, since it's nearly indestructable...