You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ARTCCC borders in .sct files

Alen Smriko 1034823

Alen Smriko 1034823
Posted
Posted

Hello!

Browsing thru some .sct files I've noticed that all of them have double ARTCC borders. For example, take one FIR (or whatever). Its borders sorround it. Take the neighbouring FIR. Its borders also sorround it. Now, when you set to see the ARTCC borders, sometimes you'll see double borders...

I'm now trying to update some .sct files. I'd rather create the border between a first FIR and second, and then move to the border between the first FIR and a third one, and not create the border around one FIR, and then the next one, because (I think) I would have some futile redundancy...

Can anyone tell me why is this practice so commonly used? Is it ok if I define the border between two FIRs once?

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

In my experience, the sector files were just a data dump. Everyone through every bit of data they could find into a file.

So, take FIR KZOB's full border and KZDC's full border and throw them both into one file. Easy. Except sometimes there was a disagreement, because vKZOB had one line drawn and vKZDC had an updated line drawn. Now the lines don't overlap and a no-man's land develops in the middle.

They also have every nav fix known to man in the sector file.

I guess it doesn't hurt anything now, but 10MB SCT files were a big pet peeve of mine when ASRC first came out and I was running a much slower machine.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Alen Smriko 1034823
Posted
Posted

TY