You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What to do with All Those Microsoft Updates

Randy Tyndall 1087023

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

I have a general computer question for anyone with more computer savvy than I, which is probably 90% of the people here...

I am using Windows XP, Media Center Edition and IE8. Each month I diligently download the Microsoft updates that come out the second Tuesday of each month, although lately it seems it's changed to the third month.

I have update manager set to notify me, but not to download and install unless I tell it to. I had a bad experience having automatic updates turned on and losing a flight because my system began downloading and installing right in the middle of approach to Las Vegas during peak hours.

I have updates dating from 2007 taking up space in my system. I googled the question, but the only solid answer I saw dealt with clients of Windows Server in an office environment, which I am not. I tried to open a "ticket" with Microsoft to ask this question, but met with no success. I tried to call Microsoft, but being from the United States I had a great deal of trouble understanding the Bangladesh accent and really didn't want to provide all the personal information they wanted just to ask a simple question.

Can I delete old updates and if I can, how do I know what updates are safe to delete? I'm talking everything from Malware removal tool, security updates, microsoft.net versions, etc, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Christopher Mauro
Posted
Posted

Well... I am not computer expert or anything but I am [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming the updates are there for a reason.. to update bits and pieces of your OS which is Windows XP. It shouldn't take up too much space on your computer.. As for the malware removal tool, unless you have malware on your computer (which I feel bad for you if you do), then just remove it, because you won't need it. Security updates and microsoft.net versions, like service packs, and other important updates, are pretty vital when talking about Windows.

Best regards,

Chris Mauro

Chris Mauro

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

Are you referring to the files/directories for the updates? i seem to remember they start with a $ sign in XP.

If you refer to those you can delete them. They are not the updates in itself but only the "downloadable package" which then gets installed.

If instead you want to remove the updates via the install/uninstall option, that's a no...

Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Paul Tutty
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Paul Tutty
UV0023.png

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

ah there i have it, somebody more MS savvy said it with the right words: hotfix uninstallers

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

A Thousand Thanks to you Paul, and to everyone who responded. Yes, Luca, I was referring to the files that are preceeded by "$". I will look into CCleaner and the hotfix unistaller as soo as I get off the forums.

Thanks again.

By the way, Paul, I'm "in" Tulsa right now virtually fixing to depart for STL. Also, my oldest son lives in Kansas, OK just a few miles to the East from you. Small world, huh

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Paul Tutty
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Paul Tutty
UV0023.png

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Okay, I downloaded CCleaner and the hotfix uninstaller and ran both. Freed up 2,000+ MB and got rid of all those uninstaller files. Probbly won't see the freespace until the next time I defrag, but good to know it will be there.

Thanks again, Paul. I'm gonna have to get the premium version come payday so I can pick and choose the files to "clean".

Why isn't it this easy to get an answer from microsoft...

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

Paul Tutty
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Paul Tutty
UV0023.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

yea i got hit with the fake windows defender software a few months ago. had to reformat to get rid of it

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Paul,

Not to worry. I was mistaken. It was on the third link you posted to the hotfix uninstaller that had a freeware version and a licensed version. I got the two confused in my answering post. Sorry, didn't mean to cause alarm. The link to CClean was the one in your post and was to Piriform. All's good

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

Paul Tutty
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Paul Tutty
UV0023.png

Jacques Malan 995061
Posted
Posted

Just a thought in my own experience.

When you install programs such as Flightsim, it checks the current Windows installation and sets itself up in the registry and other places accordingly.

Windows upates modifies and in some cases enhances the way that the Operating System works, which in effect 'breaks' your flightsim installation, because it is no longer the same OS that it was installed on.

I prefer to do a clean Windows installation, download all updates available, and then disable updates alltogether.

My flightsim has been running perfect without crashes or other problems since installation.

Jacques Malan

VATSIM Supervisor

atc1o.png

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

IF you use your PC ONLY for Flight Simulation, disabling updates may be an option...

usually it is NOT recommended...

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Paul Tutty
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Paul Tutty
UV0023.png

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Updates don't work the way Jacques describes. It does change the operating system, but it doesn't break compatibility or rearrange the registry. All it does is fix problems, with a few exceptions relating to anti-piracr updates. Software doesn't analyze the OS. A software install creates folders, moves files and makes some entries in the registry. On occasion it will look at your hardware or driver config. Updates aren't going to cause you trouble. If your using the internet, you need most of the security updates, want most of the other one and if you can't differentiate the two, your probably best off installing all of them.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted
IF you use your PC ONLY for Flight Simulation, disabling updates may be an option...

usually it is NOT recommended...

As Paul stated that approach has a main problem, if you are on this forum you probably fly online.. so it's really not a good idea.

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Microsoft generally reserves the OS changes itself for Service Packs only....

Off topic a little but Vista SP1 actually uses the same NT kernel as Win7. I started with SP1 so I never had that bad Vista experience

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

All Windows OSs since 2000/NT use some form of the NT kernel.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

NT Kernel 6.1 to be exact. Actually it's pretty much unified across vista, server 2008 R2 and Win7. Just different versions let you run your system in different ways. Obviously the UI in Win7 trumps Vista UI

• 2 weeks later...
Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

for defrag and registry cleaner use

Ausologics Registry Cleaner and Ausologics Disk Defrag

Defraggler shows stuff that can't be defraged because it is MFT

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png