You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX graphics are black

Darrol Larrok 1140797

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

FSX seems to be incapable of rendering graphics. After installing a freeware add-on(the candian xpress concord) that I installed previously with no problems, the preview plane in the free flight menu is black, as is the screen when in game. I can look at the esc menu, but can see no graphics. I can still hear sound, just no graphics.

Any suggestions? Nothing has changed but the plane which I have now uninstalled. I can't reinstall FSX, as I no longer possess the discs.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

few things to try

update your display drivers, be amazed how quickly this tends to solve most display issues.

another thing to try in game, switch to external view. sometimes panels that werent installed right will black out your screen when in 2d cockpit. once you close the panel or switch to another view, youll be able to see. if that works, get a new panel

remove the new model, see if that fixes it.

delete your fsx.cfg file, or rather move it to some where else and back it up. once you launch FSX it should create a new one, you will need to reinstall some addons after doing this.

if that doesnt work, you may end up needing to repair your installation

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

My drivers are up to date.

I can't even open the drop down or top menu.

I did remove the menu.

removing fsx.cfg had no effect.

I can't repair my install as I don't have the exists.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Sorry to bump this, but if anyone can help it would be great. In addition to the black screen, the direct x preview button has disappeared.

Any help, I can't reinstall as I lost the discs.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Darrol, at the most I can suggest rolling the display driver back a version, if you have/find the software. My experience was with a nVidia driver and after rolling it back, everything came back to normal and then I just waited for the next version to come along. You can try reinstalling it if everything works.

This is just a suggestion, carefully backup what you need before trying it. Good luck fixing it

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Yup, looks like I may end up having to get a new copy of FSX ):

Tried the drivers in both directions, no effect. I think its trying to put the display on a nonexistant 2nd monitor

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

If you are sure about the 2nd monitor display, then try switching between full screen and windowed screen to see if it makes any difference.

Also, since i move my monitors a lot, got two of them, move one of them to the other side and watch the fun What I do in that case is to set the 2nd monitor to a relative position on the screen settings, which will enable me to see the hidden screens. then move it to the primary and then adjust the settings. You can also hit Alt+Space and press M and try using the cursor keys to see if you can bring the window into view, that is if you are sure the screen is being displayed elsewhere.

Although, you did say you deleted the fsx.cfg, not sure where else your window settings can be stored.

Anyways, buying the FSX copy is not a bad idea though, just the pain of having to reinstall every thing. If you do go that way, then remember to clear your registry also to make sure you wiped everything clean.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

What's interesting is that in full-screen it flickers, and I can see the tool tips in both

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Hmmm, very intevesting. Go to display settings from within fSx/9, forget which one you use, then set it to the lowest resolution possible, like 1024x768. Make sure it is 1024x768x32, not the x16 version. See if you get your display. If you do, slowly increase and then you probably can figure out something from there. If it's a display problem, it must be coming from your Gx card. Also you can try to contact CXA and ask them what the installer copies and check to make sure those files, if any that affected non-FSX systems, are ok and not corrupt, although I highly doubt it, it doesn't hurt to check.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Hi

This sounds like a GFX card issue, the first thing I would do is open the PC check the card is correctly seated, (fully pushed into place) next what about over heating check for fluff inside the case. If there is lots get some compressed air in a can and give the Pc a good blow job.

You havent said whether your having GFX issues on teh rest of the system do other games/applicatiosn work ok.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

You should try reseating the graphics card (making sure to get any dust off of it while it's out of the case) and maybe even reinstalling your card's drivers. But have you also looked at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48169

and try to apply that fix? This may be the same problem that lots of people have with FSX and add-ons. In fact, it's not just add ons...disappearing graphics can even happen in default a/c such as the tryke. Anyway...it doesn't hurt to try this fix.

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the suggestion! Graphics work fine in all other applications, and I did try that fix, so I'll be getting a new copy of FSX and reinstalling.

• 3 years later...
Mika Louhiaho 1223102
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately I must report with having the exactly same issue. What is confusing and the only "logical" CLUE I detected is that when I fly offline (as I have done previously - new on VATSIM) there is no problems but when I fly on VATSIM I tend to suddenly have these "memory problems" and end up losing my graphics from my screen! It's VERY annoying. Often the flight goes well but then when I start to descend and am about to approach (as the airport addon scenery gets loaded) I all of a sudden lose my sky, lose my virtual cockpit etc.... Today I was to fly a long haul EFHK-CYUL with PMDG 777 but while programming the FMC and preparing the flight my screen failed me again. So much for the saturday fun for crossing the virtual Atlantic

I'm currently running an offline test and there appears to be no problems. I have a Hi-end system i7-3770 with 12 gigs of RAM and a GTX660TI GPU. I'm just amazed what it is in the VATSIM connection that makes my FSX shock

Mark Taylor 1268798
Posted
Posted

Have you tried simply turning down the scenery in the FSX options? Reducing the visibility ring? Reducing ground detail some?

Reducing AI aircraft and ground traffic?

• 1 month later...
Philip McNiel 1282687
Posted
Posted

One thing to try--and I don't know whether it'll work in this case or not, but your symptoms are a known problem that comes from minimizing FSX/selecting some other program (as in, hitting "alt+tab")...

Try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del, and then clicking "Start Task Manager," then selecting FSX and clicking "Switch To" to bring FSX back to the foreground. If you bring FSX back to the foreground in that way, sometimes the graphics come back, unless your problem is different from mine.

Mika Louhiaho 1223102
Posted
Posted
Try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del, and then clicking "Start Task Manager," then selecting FSX and clicking "Switch To" to bring FSX back to the foreground. If you bring FSX back to the foreground in that way, sometimes the graphics come back, unless your problem is different from mine.

Yes. It sure seems this has to do with the problem for me too. After I switched to FULL SCREEN mode FSX has been more stabile. I have still experienced some loss of graphics but pressing ESC and then CONTINUE FLIGHT seems to restore the graphics. This happens only in full screen mode! That's a relief!

Nevertheless I see this as a software 'build in' memory problem. As we know FSX was never coded very well. Lots of tweaks has to be done when run under 64bit Win7 but despite of all twaks the memory issue persist. I've got 12 gigs of RAM and 2 gigs for graphics card that should be more than enought but FSX can't use more than 4 gigs of RAM and is fragile in a 64bit system.