You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Saitek Yoke issue

Richard Hutchinson 1138603

Posted
Posted

Hi

I have two Saitek yokes in the cockpit, each feeding a Saitek TQ. However, one of the yokes will not now fire up, ie the timer screen does not illuminate, nor does the yoke work. On disconnecting and reconnecting the yoke USB connection, I get a blink from the LED on the TQ (tq is connected via the yoke) but that's it. Have tried the yoke on a different PC but still the same. It is only a few months old too.

It was fine when I switched the networked PC's off that it connects to, but the next day - nothing!

Also trying to find out where to get replacement trim pots for the TQ's as a few have cacked out. Saitek won't supply them. Pretty cheap and nasty inside too.

Anyone had this?

Regards

Richard

Terry Carr 916263
Posted
Posted

I bought the X52 pro recently, and is not nearly as sturdy as the cyborg EVO that it replaced. I am already having problems with the connecting cable between the two units, (which I suspect is your problem) and at first sign of further trouble I will be coming down on Saitek like a ton of bricks. At US$150 this is no cheap throwaway joystick, and I would suggest that you tell Saitek that unless you get some service from them you will plaster the forums with posts about the lack of quality and service. This usually works for me.

• 2 weeks later...
bernard tremblay
Posted
Posted
... Also trying to find out where to get replacement trim pots for the TQ's as a few have cacked out. ...
Richard - Sounds like you aren't allergic to hardware; am I right?

Spidering the Saitek forums (I thought my X52 was going to drive me insane!!) I came across a number of *cough* low-level Q&A problems.

Check for intermittents ... shorts seem the most common. (I haven't opened my unit so don't know their style; if there are any coaxial-style wires used, be sure the outside shield isn't grounding out due to mechanics. I suspect that happens with my joystick at it's limit. But, again, I haven't popped the case.)

It's likely to be something small. Not minor huh huh ... but small. Teenie. Dunno ... could be a couple of strands poking out from a solder joint on a wire that's being flexed.

good hunting!

intersections.gif

If you look to see how the system works

Likely you will find that it doesn't.

1018262.jpg

@bentrem - FSX SP2 | AMD Athlon II 630 2.8GHz X4 | GA-MA785 | Radeon 5770 | 6GB DDR3 | XP Pro | Saitek X52

Posted
Posted

Hiya

Thanks for the reply. I have since bought two new yokes and TQ's and whilst one works fine, the other doesn't in that there is no no option to calibrate in Windows 7 as they are "factory calibrated". If I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign the flaps to one of the TQ levers (any one) it jumps from 5 deg to full in a matter of 1/2" movement on the lever.

I think I should just bite the bullet and chop off the plug and wire it to one of Leo Bodnars boards and to hell with Saitek whose support absolutley sucks big time. Then at least I can calibrate it propery.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy "proper" yokes and TQ, so the Saitek toy one's will have to do for now.

Best regards

Richard

bernard tremblay
Posted
Posted
Hiya
*sigh* There's something about Saitek I like ... mebbe I get the feeling that they're a small shop that over-committed, something like that.

Thanks for the reply. I have since bought two new yokes and TQ's and whilst one works fine, the other doesn't in that there is no no option to calibrate in Windows 7 as they are "factory calibrated". If I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign the flaps to one of the TQ levers (any one) it jumps from 5 deg to full in a matter of 1/2" movement on the lever.
heh ... now /that's/ the Saitek experience I recognize.

Crazy-making, nae?

BTW I can say 0 about Win7. That's on my ToDo list.

I think I should just bite the bullet and chop off the plug and wire it to one of Leo Bodnars boards and to hell with Saitek whose support absolutley sucks big time. Then at least I can calibrate it propery.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy "proper" yokes and TQ, so the Saitek toy one's will have to do for now.

Yepp yepp.

All of that said: the X52 has totally transformed my flying experience. But it took /a lot/ of effort to get this weird stick to give something like a realistic yoke experience. (Never having had my hands on a real yoke, or even a "game" yoke, by "realistic" I mean "No, this airframe is not a rocket, stop responding like that" ... something that plausibly resembles what happens when you change the orientation of an airfoil in flowing air. And I'm there now. So heh I could complain but choose not to.

;-p

Best regards

^5

Richard
ben

intersections.gif

1018262.jpg

@bentrem - FSX SP2 | AMD Athlon II 630 2.8GHz X4 | GA-MA785 | Radeon 5770 | 6GB DDR3 | XP Pro | Saitek X52

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Richard, the Saitek TQ toy can become an extremely useful piece of simulation hardware when you add FSUIPC, the paid/registered version. I am sure you should have a free version sitting there as a lot of payware/freeware require it now. The paid version let's you calibrate it, either per acft or for your sim in general. I think I have 6 detents and it works like a charm.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

bernard tremblay
Posted
Posted
Richard, the Saitek TQ toy can become an extremely useful piece of simulation hardware when you add FSUIPC, the paid/registered version.
There we go: another indication that Saitek ain't just fakin'it.

Lovely.

cheers

intersections.gif

1018262.jpg

Posted
Posted

Hi

Yes, I use full version of FSUPIC, however, the TQ does not calibrate in that either. 5 degrees or full. Nothing inbetween. The TQ that came with the yoke is brand new. I bought both Yoke/TQ sets from PC World and they only have the sets not the individual TQ's so are unable to change just the TQ. To take the Yoke out again is a major strip down job which I don't want to have to go through a fourth time.

Yet another cheap and poorly manufactured item from Saitek, who in my opinion no longer give a damn about customers or product quality - only profit.

Their product support (MadCatz) only answer you when they can be bothered and are very inflexible considering how much money Saitek have had from me in the last year!

If there was an alternative with a reasonable price I would dump them tomorrow in the nearest skip.

(Off my soapbox now) lol

Thanks for the reply

Richard

bernard tremblay
Posted
Posted
To take the Yoke out again is a major strip down job which I don't want to have to go through a fourth time.
Nice piece of work, but yaa ... that gets thing after a while.
Yet another cheap and poorly manufactured item from Saitek, who in my opinion no longer give a damn about customers or product quality - only profit.
/me steps onto soap-box

In their defense: their margins must be teenie. To mftr something with that much mechanics w/o benefit of scale? I'd call it self-inflicted injury / mere madness.

Their product support (MadCatz) only answer you when they can be bothered and are very inflexible considering how much money Saitek have had from me in the last year!
If you haven't, I encourage you to spider the forums. Maybe find a fix, maybe find someone with the same problem ... maybe get a response from the team!

I suspect they low-balled cost, and we get stuck. Not sure they've made millions and retired, though; not sure they're villains. From what I see I think they might be "good guys" but under water.

intersections.gif

1018262.jpg

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Richard, I think I might have mistaken the product you were referring to, I apologize. I thought you had the individual 3 lever Saitek TQ, but now I am doubting it. Can you please tell me which Yoke/TQ you are referring to?

I am referring to the little guy on the right with the black blue and red levers in this

To set the detents, I used page 4 (IIRC) of FSUIPC where it has settings for the flaps and spoilers. I use 2 TQs setup as one unit. Left for Spoiler lever, middle 4 for throttles, the rightmost for flaps. The manual explains how to go about it. It might require you to set your extremes a little lower than full values as they are very important for the 'flaps up' and the 'full flaps' detents.

Posted
Posted

I have two Saitek TQ's both new. One works fine, the other will not calibrate in FSX or FSUPIC and gives weird figures on movement. The TQ must be duff hence my previous remarks.

You will see the setup I have in the gallery at www.boeingsimulator.co.uk

Cheers

Richard

PS: STill think Saitek stuff sucks tho, lol

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted
I have two Saitek TQ's both new. One works fine, the other will not calibrate in FSX or FSUPIC and gives weird figures on movement. The TQ must be duff hence my previous remarks.

You will see the setup I have in the gallery at http://www.boeingsimulator.co.uk

Cheers

Richard

PS: STill think Saitek stuff sucks tho, lol

Oh WOW, and here I am thinking you are just having trbl with a tiny Saitek controller. Awesome setup. My ctrlr's are rather new, less than 2 yrs old and so far have stood the abuse. I guess a return is in order then? I don't usually use the annoying Saitek software that comes with it, but have you tried it to see if they show something better? I use the CH Yoke, so I don't know much about the Yoke itself.

Posted
Posted

Hiya

The yokes are "okay" and function alright, but are still a bit plastic looking if you know what I mean. I had a CH yoke, but went for these are they have a steel shaft and looked a little more substantial.

I may just take the faulty TQ apart and see what's amiss as it is easier than trying to go through their support system (which is akin to swimming in treacle).

Still have a way to go with the pit but am slowly getting there with help from so many kind people.

Best regards

Richard