You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Charts and Facility Maps for KMEM

Larry James 901346

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

I've recently being flying into KMEM. I browsed the ARTCC site for maps and charts but can't find any. Searching the web I found facility maps of the terminal. I'm looking for other charts such as STAR's for the terminal. Any suggestions?

If they are on the Memphis ARTCC site ( http://www.vzmeartcc.org/ ) and I'm missing them, thanks in advance for pointing me to where they are located. If there isn't a reference because it's not used, I'd like to know that also. Some of the times when arriving, the tower position is staffed. I appreciate the patience from the controller to accommodate my approach and treat me as if I knew what I was doing. While the active runway was included in the ATTIS, I was still very much in wonder if I were approaching it correctly.

Some of the times when I approach I can see from Servinfo that other aircraft are also scheduled to be landing within minutes of my arrival. Without STAR's I have no idea, except to just look and see what they might do as they approach, what they might be doing.

The lack of charts on the site might mean it doesn't matter. In any event, thanks in advance for comments and suggestions on this.

By the way, in the past almost all my flights have been KLAX-KSFO. I know what to expect of my approaches to KSFO like the palm of my hands.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Chartfinder.vatsim.net, everything in the US, UK and Australia.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Chartfinder.vatsim.net, everything in the US, UK and Australia.

Thanks, Darrol.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

No problem.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Larry, another resource that I use is www.airnav.com. www.airnav.com/airport/kmem will take you right to the KMEM page, and include the STARs (and DPs and approach charts.....) and Airport Diagram. Hope this helps.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

AirNav is really good, and then there's also www.myairplane.com and www.aopa.org/airports.

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted
http://skyvector.com/airport/ Combines that with a copy of the A/FD.
CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Larry,

For all my US charts I have almost exclusively used http://flightaware.com/ to get my charts. On the left side of the main screen are several orange boxes to get info from, the bottom one being airport info. Type in KMEM and click on the blue "View Info" box. At the top of the screen that appears, which also will show RW arrivals/departures is a tab for "IFR Plates". Click on that and select the plate you want.

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Larry,

For all my US charts I have almost exclusively used http://flightaware.com/ to get my charts. On the left side of the main screen are several orange boxes to get info from, the bottom one being airport info. Type in KMEM and click on the blue "View Info" box. At the top of the screen that appears, which also will show RW arrivals/departures is a tab for "IFR Plates". Click on that and select the plate you want.

Thanks Randy, et al. I never really had problems finding charts. Because I had only flew in and out of KLAX/KSFO and used their ARTCC site for information, I thought all the ARTCC sites were setup similar (giving preferred information to the users of the ARTCC). I thought I was missing something on the site.

The answers helped me to understand another important component of VATSIM. I'm sure, since most of the procedures of the various FIR/ARTCC's are based on real world procedures the localized information collected on the individual website doesn't have to be there. I'll keep this in mind when I visit the next ARTCC.

I already have most of these resources in my bookmark database. That was what I had used when I made the reference for searching the web for the facility map. I actually just grabbed it from my bookmark database.

I originally learned of the information from the Stickies of the Chart, Navigation and Flightplanning Help forum (which I have given to other users that were having chart problems over the years). I read the whole KMEM site and thought I was missing something.

I appreciate all the input. You guys are the greatest.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Myairplane.com you have the option to download the charts in one swipe. Highly recommended. Flightaware and other chart source are pretty much the same, it's just Jeppview that makes everything so special.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

The reason a lot of ARTCCs don't post the charts is because we lack the manpower to keep them updated per each 56-day cycle. Larger ARTCCs like ZLA definitely have that capability.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
The reason a lot of ARTCCs don't post the charts is because we lack the manpower to keep them updated per each 56-day cycle. Larger ARTCCs like ZLA definitely have that capability.

Harold,

ARTCC size doesn't really play into it. ZLA typically has two people which manage the update cycle: our Facility Engineer and one of the instructors who helps out. Even the smallest of ARTCC's usually has two members. Though we're a large ARTCC, it's been those same two people who have managed it for many, many years.

What's actually more important is to have a solid IT person, who makes managing the update fairly easy for the 1 or 2 people who are doing the work.