You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Cross-coupling

George Wright

George Wright
Posted
Posted

Hi, all.

Simple question, but maybe a very complex answer. Is there a way (or can a way be developed) to produce the effect of cross-coupled frequencies using ES or Squawkbox?

I'm looking for an easier way to split ATC positions without having to tell every aircraft to change frequency. Cross-coupling would solve this perfectly.

Thanks,

George.

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you mean by "cross-coupling". In ATC terms, coupling or band-boxing usually refers to the same controller transmitting and receiving on several frequencies. Usually the set-up will allow pilots on any of the frequencies to hear each other by re-transmitting all transmissions across all the frequencies (i.e. if the same controller uses frequency 1, 2 and 3, and an aircraft on frequency 1 calls, pilots on frequency 2 and 3 can also hear ATC and the pilot on frequency 1).

You mentioned splitting ATC positions however. If you are splitting a sector between different controllers they will also use different frequencies, or there will be a lot of confusion, so I don't see what coupling would do to help in that situation.

Regarding the possibility of coupling/band-boxing, my answers are:

Short answer: No, not with the current VATSIM network structure.

Slightly longer answer: You can transmit on several frequencies, for example if you want to relieve a fellow controller for a short while. Then you simply have to check the appropriate boxes for the new frequency. However, this only works as long as the other controller is online, since pilots will only see and be able to tune a controller's primary frequency. So unless the frequency is someone's primary frequency, it can't be tuned by pilots.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

George Wright
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Martin. That's what I thought. Would be nice to be able to do it though!

The reason I asked:

I was thinking of an easier way to split off a position which normally operates bandboxed, e.g. 2 area sectors or the Intermediate and Final Directors. If, when bandboxed, the position operates both frequencies cross-coupled then the position can be split seamlessly by taking off the split frequency and bandboxed by reactivating it.

This would also simplify handoff procedures for many positions, as aircraft will always go to the same frequencies, regardless of how the next position is split or bandboxed.

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

I definitely agree, but unfortunately this is something that won't happen until there is a major change in the way VATSIM works. As you know what identifies a controller today is the callsign (XXX_CTR) and the primary frequency. There needs to be some radical change in the way this works before we can use multiple frequencies in any useful way.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia