You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Types of Speed?

Erick Duran 946537

Erick Duran 946537
Posted
Posted

Hi, what's the difference among:

* Indicated Speed

* True Speed

* Ground Speed

Thanks,

Erick

Dustin Robbins 887494
Posted
Posted

Indicated - read off the airspeed indicator

True- actual speed the aircraft moves through undisturbed air

Ground- aircraft's speed over the ground

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted
Indicated - read off the airspeed indicator

True- actual speed the aircraft moves through undisturbed air

Ground- aircraft's speed over the ground

Not exactly. True airspeed is the speed over the ground a plane would be moving at in undisturbed air. Down low, this is roughly indicated speed plus 2 knots for every thousand feet MSL. Add your wind component to TAS and you get groundspeed.

This is all a simplification. Google for these airspeed types and you can find the exact answers and more than you'll ever want or need to know about airspeeds.

As a bonus, since it's getting colder around this time up here in the northern hemisphere, I'll remind you that all airspeeds are more or less useless unless you turn on your pitot heat when operating in visible moisture. I had my first two virtual pilots of the year today speed up to 500+ knots true in the descent who insisted they were doing 250 indicated [thru the clouds in northern ohio, USA].

Steve Perry

EDIT: Clarification: Dustin wasn't wrong, I just meant to clarify by specifying speed over the ground vs just speed.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

David Klain 874106
Posted
Posted

True airspeed is the speed of an aircraft relative to the airm[Mod - Happy Thoughts] in which it flies, i.e. the magnitude of the vector difference of the velocity of the aircraft and the velocity of the air. Under zero wind conditions this is equal to the speed over the ground. Under wind conditions an estimation of the wind is used to make a windspeed vector calculation that computes an estimated ground speed from the true air speed and a wind correction angle to maintain the desired ground track.

Indicated airspeed will differ from true airspeed at air densities other than some reference density. Air density is affected by temperature, moisture content, and altitude. Indicated airspeed is used in aircraft operation as the aircraft will always stall at the same indicated airspeed, regardless of its true airspeed, and below the speed of sound, maximum structural speed is shown by indicated airspeed. Proper navigation via dead reckoning (without constant ground reference) requires the use of true airspeed and wind corrections.

As mentioned, Groundspeed is the speed over ground...

Rey Lopez 883899
Posted
Posted
True airspeed is the speed of an aircraft relative to the airm[Mod - Happy Thoughts] in which it flies, i.e. the magnitude of the vector difference of the velocity of the aircraft and the velocity of the air. Under zero wind conditions this is equal to the speed over the ground. Under wind conditions an estimation of the wind is used to make a windspeed vector calculation that computes an estimated ground speed from the true air speed and a wind correction angle to maintain the desired ground track.

Indicated airspeed will differ from true airspeed at air densities other than some reference density. Air density is affected by temperature, moisture content, and altitude. Indicated airspeed is used in aircraft operation as the aircraft will always stall at the same indicated airspeed, regardless of its true airspeed, and below the speed of sound, maximum structural speed is shown by indicated airspeed. Proper navigation via dead reckoning (without constant ground reference) requires the use of true airspeed and wind corrections.

As mentioned, Groundspeed is the speed over ground...

thanks to dictionary.com for translation lol...

The thoughts and/or words or any general things that are expressed above are not a direct reflection of the views of the actual poster myself, Rey Lopez, and should be disregarded and left unread.