You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Remote proxy client

Michael Zazula

Michael Zazula
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I need some help to make the second copy of ES work on a separate computer, connected via proxy. The Euroscope Wiki page (http://www.euroscope.hu/mediawiki/index.php?title=Connection_Features) is not clear for me in that matter.

The configuration is:

Main ES copy on a computer with static IP 192.168.1.7 - NOTE that it's a Win7 machine without administrator rights (it might be the source of the problem?)

Secondary ES copy on computer with static IP 192.168.1.3 (Win XP with full administrator rights)

Both computers are in a LAN, behind two routers each (a little bit strange configuration, first router serves as an ADSL and real router, second serves only as WiFi access point).

What I do is:

- I click on "start proxy" on the main computer

- I select "To VATSIM via proxy" on the secondary computer, I put 192.1568.1.7 in Proxy connection - Server window and I click on "connect"

What I get is:

- On the secondary computer I get the "proxy connection" icon, but the Connect dialog doesn't close and after few seconds the "proxy connection" icon reverts back to "connect". Apparently no connection to the proxy server has been established. Just to be sure: ping 192.168.1.7 works.

What I suspect is some problem with ports. In the WIKI "Connection features" page I found:

When you are behind a router you should forward this port [6810] to your workstation.

Which computer is reffered as "workstation"? I've [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed that the primary one (which runs the proxy), so I've forwarded the port 6810 to 192.168.1.7. That hasn't helped much. It doesn't work also with 6810 forwarded to 192.168.1.4.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

MJZ

Best regards,
Michael "Zulus" Zazula

1832284255_Beznazwy.png.8fdb60cd0b9a70a54b993f005487e8ca.png
Visit pl-vacc.org.pl  | Welcome to Polish virtual airspace!

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Hello,

First I have to admit that I do not have real Win7 experience with proxy connections so far. May be someone who tested it can answer better.

But in theory: all your steps are correct. If you can start proxy server on 192.168.1.7 without any message, then the port was binded correctly. Can you run a test if you can connect to the server from another instance on the same computer?

In your case both your computers are behind the router. In that case there is no need for port forwarding. It is necessary only if the proxy client is not in your local network, but somewhere outside.

Sorry I know it does not help too much.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

David Saunders 818672
Posted
Posted

I always problems with XP and VISTA and WIN7,

easiest way round this is to use Hamachi, this creates a network, its free and works very well, dont have any problems with this at all.

non-discript self importance signature

Michael Zazula
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Thanks for a quick answer.

Can you run a test if you can connect to the server from another instance on the same computer?

The test has been p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed. In fact it's a 3 monitor setup, with two monitors connected to 192.168.1.7 and one to 192.168.1.3. I have absolutely no problem to connect the second instance of ES on 192.168.1.7 to the main instance. Only the third instance on 192.168.1.3 couses problems.

But... I've found a work-around. After some tests I've reallized that I can use the second computer (192.168.1.3) to connect to VATSIM and host the proxy. The first one has no problem to connect to 192.168.1.3 via proxy... So there is only a problem with communication in one way. That convinces me more than it might be problem with Win7 without administrator rights - probably the possibility to accept proxy connection from outside is blocked in such configuration.

Best regards,

MJZ

Best regards,
Michael "Zulus" Zazula

1832284255_Beznazwy.png.8fdb60cd0b9a70a54b993f005487e8ca.png
Visit pl-vacc.org.pl  | Welcome to Polish virtual airspace!