You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Normal Server vs. Voice Server

Lukas Kulik 917478

Lukas Kulik 917478
Posted
Posted

hi,

is it important to look for the right voice server? i mean,if i choose an Europe server to fly in, do i have to take also a Europe Voice Server to talk with ATC? And what about the Controllers,...if i look for someone in ServInfo,and he is on an European Server,is it then important to take a "special" Voice Server to find this Controller? Because ServInfo doesn't show me on which voice server this particular Controller is.

thanks for answers

Lukas

Regards,

Lukas Kulik

VATSIM Supervisor

vACC-Germany

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted
is it important to look for the right voice server? i mean,if i choose an Europe server to fly in, do i have to take also a Europe Voice Server to talk with ATC?

Hello Lukas,

as a pilot you don´t need to care about the voice server, you don´t choose it. The controller defines the voice server he will use for his voice channel in his radar software (ASRC). The voice server address is then entered in the controller information (ATIS) in the first line. All you need to do is to configure Squawkbox correctly to extract and use this data. You have to set the two following parameters in Squawkbox' "Options" menu:

Extract voice details from ATIS

Communicate with Roger Wilco

When you connect to VATSIM with Squawkbox, check the Box "Use Roger Wilco voice" and leave the voice server address field aat the bottom of the dialog box empty.

After you´ve connected you just need to double-click on a controller entry in the ATC directory, and voice will automatically switch to the controllers voice channel. Alternatively you can also use AVC Tuner.

PS: Don´t be confused because of the terminology "Roger Wilco" here. The mentioned options still apply, only the software has changed, it´s now AVC. But AVC behaves the same way like Roger Wilco as far as Squawkbox is concerned.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Lukas Kulik 917478
Posted
Posted

so you mean,i even don't have to start AVC,...because squawkbox does it for me?

cool,thanks

lukas

Regards,

Lukas Kulik

VATSIM Supervisor

vACC-Germany

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Exactly.

best regards,

Martin Georg