You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Draw route mistake - with pictures

Eivind Fosse 818131

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

A fellow controller made me aware of a mistake in how a specific route is drawn in the Norwegian Sectorfile that I've created... I'm unable to understand where the mistake is located, and could need some help from you.

The airport ENBR in Norway has a fix located at the TMA border to the south, called LUCKY. From LUCKY STARs go to both runways (17 and 35). LUCKY is not connected to any airway.

South of LUCKY, at the airport of ENZV, a VOR is called ZOL. Most traffic from the south to ENBR will have a FPL that ends with ZOL DCT LUCKY but for some reason LUCKY is removed from the draw route feature and the COPX list when such a FPL is filed.

A FPL from ENZV - ZOL DCT LUCKY. Please note that LUCKY is removed both from the WP list and in the draw route:

22bf9620bee18640e85b881370ee10006g.jpg

158c0b41e4fc56e5f37e772151f471b66g.jpg

If the FPL is changed to LUCKY only, the fix appears as it should:

6bf1fa2bee80e09bd1f4a5728c5e421d6g.jpg

5bebaae17633e956a3209892900a6d7b6g.jpg

ENBR has SIDs that end at LUCKY as well, and if a FPL is filed from ENBR to a destination starting with LUCKY DCT ZOL (the opposite as above) the route is drawn including LUCKY - hence it seems like the problem is ZOL DCT LUCKY only.

Relevant parts of the ESE:

SID:ENBR:17:LUCKY3C:ENBR BTA LUCKY

SID:ENBR:35:LUCKY3D:ENBR VOO LUCKY

STAR:ENBR:17:LUCKY2N:LUCKY BENTI ROBIX GOLAX BR443 BR441 INTEL ENBR

STAR:ENBR:35:LUCKY2P:LUCKY BR990 BR420 OKITO ENBR

The complete sectorfile can be downloaded from the following URL if needed:

http://www.vaccsca.org/component/option,com_docman/Itemid,77/gid,200/task,doc_download/

What might cause this and how may the problem be solved?

Thank you!

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

As the route extracting tool is far from being 100% accurate there are some cleaning tools in the code. They run after all points are extracted. On of the tools are designed to delete points that are too far from the previous. The formula is the following: You have P1, P2 and P3 along the route. If distance from P1 to P2 is more than twice the distance from P1 to P3 then P2 is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed to wrongly positioned and is deleted. That may cause problems when your star is turning back. (I did not debug your ESE file so far.)

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

That can not be the problem Gergely.

The points are not turning backwards. They are on a more or less straight line (please see the pictures above) and they will then be:

P1:ZOL

P2:LUCKY

P3:BENTI

The distance from ZOL to LUCKY is 47 NM and from LUCKY to BENTI 26 NM. It is impossible that the distance from ZOL to BENTI can be shorter than the distance from ZOL to LUCKY...

The FPL causing problems is ZOL DCT LUCKY.

The actual STAR text:

From LUCKY proceed to BENTI, proceed to ROBIX, turn left to GOLAX, proceed to BR443 (MAX

IAS 220 KT), turn right to BR441, turn right to INTEL

Eivind

Marvin Palmer
Posted
Posted

Eivind, I'am not able to see the pics, but my [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption is you have the "DCT" in the FPLN so it's looking for VOR/NDB/Fix named DCT...thus you problem of not showing.

I control in Alaska and the FPLN doesn't quite work all the time if there is a flight to the West...(W/E180 line) and that does throw the lines off some times but I look in the Routes box for the word "ok" between fixes.

You said to tried without the "DCT" and it worked right?

Marvin

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

Marvin,

I see your point, however DCT is a very common part of a FPL and no VOR or NDB in the world has that specific identifier. I'll test it, but if you are correct I'm very surprised!

Edit:

I had a pilot file a FPL - ZOL LUCKY (without DCT) and LUCKY did not appear this time either...

Eivind

Marvin Palmer
Posted
Posted

Sorry for the long delay, does your airway text file have the fixes on them? I'm asking to see if you have a current airways.txt. might be another place to look since this is where the info is derived from.

On the side note, is it possible that Lucky fix does not show because it's part of your STAR? and you said that they file FPLN ending in LUCKY...might also be it's not STAR specific and might need to add the procedure in the flight plan....ending in LUCKY2N

My theory is this for flight plan

EDDF.....ZOL LUCKY2N ENBR