You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

need advice, computer crashes on VATSIM, says no more memory

Ron Banks 1141558

Ron Banks 1141558
Posted
Posted

I am sure I have upset controllers several times. I am trying to fly VATSIM with FSX I have a quad core CPU, 8GB of memory (yes, count them - 8 ), with a model ATI card running 1 gig of memory. However, at random moments, I get this nice message from my XP w/ SP3 operating system saying I have run out of available memory.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? I am running UT2, GEX, and UT2 as well on this machine, but it seems to happen when I am on the VATSIM server. I would appreciate any advice as I do not want to keep disappearing off the radar while enjoying the fun.

Thanks,

Ron Banks

Pilatus Pilot

Dancing the skies on laughter-silver wings,

Sunward I climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds,

and done a hundred things you have not dreamed of!!

-- Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

32 or 64 bit? If it's 32 bit then only 3 gigs are being used, which would explain your shortage.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
32 or 64 bit? If it's 32 bit then only 3 gigs are being used, which would explain your shortage.

Since FSX is a 32-bit app, it won't use more than 2 or 3 gigs no matter what the OS.

Ron, what pilot client are you using?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Since FSX is a 32-bit app, it won't use more than 2 or 3 gigs no matter what the OS.

I did not know that. I sure hope "flight" pans out.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Wim Sjoholm 1133704
Posted
Posted

Ron, what pilot client are you using?

Cheers!

Luke

Not entirely true, as the 1 gig gfx card will take its share of the 3 gig virtual address space available in a 32 bit environment, along with windows etc.

Somehow rated s3

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Do a google search on FS OOM or Out of Memory Error and you should be able to find a fix to your problem as this is a known issue and there are fixes for this.

Regards,

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Patrik Yngver
Posted
Posted

It's most likley some scenery or aircraft dll that's not working propery, leaking memory. When FSX (or any other 32-bit app) have allocated around 3GB it will run out of memory, because it cannot "count" further than 4GB (certain limitations in Windows "steal" the rest).

Have you installed any add-ons recently? Try disabling those and see what happens.

Patrik Yngvér

VATSIM Thailand vACC Deputy Director

C3 ENR Controller

ESNO, Sweden

spacer.png

Ron Banks 1141558
Posted
Posted

Guys,

Thanks for all the reply posts. Definitely an active forum.

It is 32 bit Windows so that would explain the lower memory limit, it is sad those other memory sticks have nothing to do!

My pilot client is Flight 1's Pilatus PC-12, an excellent machine for flying regional hops between two active approach hubs with no dead time enroute. Cruises around 200 knots and will also land on my 3,000' home gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] strip at the end of the day Graphics wise, it is a beautiful machine inside and out as well, with 2D and 3D cockpits.

I do have several scenery addons, maybe I will have to give them up and also stay with a 2D panel to keep myself within the memory limits. That will definitely hurt the visual fun.

Ron Banks 1141558
Posted
Posted

Would I get a memory increase in FSX if I went with Windows 7?

Wim Sjoholm 1133704
Posted
Posted

Yeah, you would probably see an increase in effective memory available as the virtual address space in a 64 bit environment is 8TB compared to the 3GB in a 32 bit environment

Somehow rated s3

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Win 7 is like having a hardware upgrade especialy if you go with 64 bit. There are some tradeoffs with this as you can't upgrade from 32bit to 64 bit you will have to reformat your harddrive and do a fresh install of everything.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Of course, if something is leaking memory, all that's going to do is delay the inevitable.

I've flown 3 hours straight in FSX on Windows XP with only 2gb of RAM in the computer with no issues.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

Both of Garry's statements bear remembering. There are plenty of folks who have been running FS9 and FSX since the P4 days with only a gig or two of total RAM. If you're hitting the per-process memory limit, it's likely due to a leak in scenery or gauges and increasing overall system RAM only postpones the inevitable.

Cheers

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Guys,

Thanks for all the reply posts. Definitely an active forum.

It is 32 bit Windows so that would explain the lower memory limit, it is sad those other memory sticks have nothing to do!

My pilot client is Flight 1's Pilatus PC-12, an excellent machine for flying regional hops between two active approach hubs with no dead time enroute. Cruises around 200 knots and will also land on my 3,000' home gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] strip at the end of the day Graphics wise, it is a beautiful machine inside and out as well, with 2D and 3D cockpits.

I do have several scenery addons, maybe I will have to give them up and also stay with a 2D panel to keep myself within the memory limits. That will definitely hurt the visual fun.

You are probably having a problem that some have with some high performance graphic adapters. The memory the card has uses the Virtual Address Space that FSX needs. Try the following change:

(Right Click) My Computer -> Properties -> Advance -> (Startup and Recovery) Settings -> Edit:

Find a line similar to:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Change it to:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /userva=2560

…adding the text in red.

See if it resolves your FSX issues. There’s a chance it might slow down the operations of other programs, so it might remove it for other applications that don’t like it.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

• 6 months later...
Ron Banks 1141558
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply and advice. I have gone the "replacement" route and have installed Windows 7 64bit. It seems to have done the trick and I can use all the memory that I installed.