You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATI and the dreaded jaggies

Richard Gerrish

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

Recently I had a friend ask me about how well ATI does VS the jumping thru hoops we have to do with Nvidia to get things looking nice(royal pain since Nhancer can't handle the new drivers yet). So ATI guys let er rip and maybe you'll convert a couple of us

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Hi

ATI card, FSX with SP2 and Horizon GenX photoscenery the one of the 747 is also using Active Sky Evolution. my specs are quite old now

Win7

Intel dual core chip

4gig ram

ATI Radeon

5800 series 1 gig on board ram

2010sep22005.jpg

2010sep12002.jpg

wycliffepc2009nov5007.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

edit because of double posting

atc5o.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

nice your rig is pretty well the same as mine with the exception i'm running GTX285s. how hard was it to get FSX looking nice?

Richard Gerrish

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Richard with ATI it is a simple matter of plug and play, they work straight out of the box. The software with ATI even allows for you to adjust settings whilst actually flying in the sim so you can see the results as you fly.

I was an Nvidia man since it was matrox and I was quite happy even having to jump through hoops with nhancer.

I bought the ATI as at the time of having some spare cash I could not get a GTX card, nvidia was having trouble supplying their manufacturers and you couldnt get a card for love nor money.

So I spoke to Bill casey here in the Uk as he was a hard core ati user, he showed me some images of his and told me the working out of the box story so I went off and bought one.

The only problem I had was it was to darn big for my case, I had to buy a new tower for it to fit, but that was no hardship as it gave me the opportunity to buy an Antec aluminium case.

The ATI catalyst software even has an auto overclock facility, that you can turn on or off at will, which basically looks at your system specs and then overclocks the GFX card accordingly. How cool is that.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

good times. think i'm gonna have to start recommending ATI for the folks that i build custom FS rigs for then

Richard Gerrish

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

I've also been a 'hardcore ATi user' for many years (still have a box from an ATi 9600 which is when I started using ATi exclusively). I've had so many troubles with so many different cards (X300, X600XT, X1300Pro, X1600Pro, 4670, 5770 to name a few). Recently, I've switched to nVidia having sent my 5770 for RMA - and I was shocked at how well it worked.

Yes, you don't have everything handed to you on a platter with nVidia, but everything works. And I couldn't believe how little effect high resolution clouds or detailed scenery had on FPS. With an ATi card, I had to have the lowest resolution clouds, and any time a storm would brew up, I'd get 30-40% less FPS. With an nVidia, though - nothing changes. No matter what I threw at it (PMDG MD11, FlyTampa Scenery, REX 4096x4096px cloud textures all on a full HD monitor) - it would perform amazingly.

I haven't tested the Radeon 58xx cards, but seeing some youtube videos of people using the 5870 or 5970 makes me avoid ATi in a wide circle from now on.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

hahahahahaha

My dog is bigger than your dog tit for tat posts are always going to appear. I bet your really confused now Richard.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
hahahahahaha

My dog is bigger than your dog tit for tat posts are always going to appear. I bet your really confused now Richard.

Wycliffe

not in the least I know the hoops i've had to jump thru to keep FS looking nice on my nvidia cards after having to upgrade the drivers for a couple other apps I use frequently. I'm less concerned for me and more concerned about my customers that don't want to sit and tweak out setting till they get it just right.

Richard Gerrish

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

My images are my evidence

2010sep1007.jpg

2010sep10008.jpg

2010sep12012.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Enjoy

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Wycliffe, could you post a shot or ten of the 747's virtual cockpit (if that's the PMDG you had in that shot) on the ground with some airport scenery?

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

I will do some tonight Ivan, Heathrow do ya.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Great. Let me know which addons you use, so we could try to make an "Apples on whatever is closest to apples" comparison

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

check this link Ivan

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=52062

atc5o.png

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the screenshots Wycliffe. I was hoping you would include info about how much FPS you achieve, so we could compare both the looks and the performance. I'll try to make some screenies of the 747 at LHR myself, tonight.