You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Video card blown?

Christian Verner 1164995

Christian Verner 1164995
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,

I was doing an offline flight yesterday and all of a sudden my screen went grey. The only thing I could do was to shutdown manually (with the button). When I tried rebooting the computer, I couldnt even get anything on the monitor. All I got was "no signal". I tried rebooting a few times with the same result. I dont even hear the windows startup sound/jingle. Therefore I dont even think that Windows is actually starting. Could it be that I blew my video card? I have a Radeon 9600 GT.

Any idea's on how I could get my computer to boot up again? I have important (non gaming) stuff on there and I need to at least boot up the computer. This is driving me crazy

Thanks

Chris

pilot.ashx?ID=CXA545

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if your motherboard has a built in video card, just remove the 9900gt and start the PC, your system should revert to the built in device instead of the 9900gt.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Okay.. couple of questions..

Are you getting any signals from the BIOS? a set of beeps? just one beep? Generally the BIOS would indicate something like that if something were wrong. If nothing, have you tried to re-seat the card? unplug and plug back in the video cable? Could the monitor be on standby setting for the other port?

Also.. do you hear any other fans or anything else spin up? If not, check if the power supply is running. That may be your problem. If so, have a look at re-seating the card and trying again, and checking that the monitor is on the right setting. Something doesn't sound right if you're not getting anything from the monitor, and the BIOS doesn't indicate anything (audible) to you.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

keep in mind as well not all Motherboards have a PC speaker built in or installed so you might not hear beaps at all.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Christian Verner 1164995
Posted
Posted
if your motherboard has a built in video card, just remove the 9900gt and start the PC, your system should revert to the built in device instead of the 9900gt.

Hi Ernesto,

Thanks I'll give that a shot this evening when I get home.

Thanks again

Chris

pilot.ashx?ID=CXA545

Christian Verner 1164995
Posted
Posted
Okay.. couple of questions..

Are you getting any signals from the BIOS? a set of beeps? just one beep? Generally the BIOS would indicate something like that if something were wrong.

No beeps at all

If nothing, have you tried to re-seat the card?

unplug and plug back in the video cable? Could the monitor be on standby setting for the other port?

I doubt that the monitor is on stand by but i'll try reseating the card as well

Also.. do you hear any other fans or anything else spin up?

Yes, all the fans are spinning, even the one on the card itself.

If not, check if the power supply is running. That may be your problem. If so, have a look at re-seating the card and trying again, and checking that the monitor is on the right setting. Something doesn't sound right if you're not getting anything from the monitor, and the BIOS doesn't indicate anything (audible) to you.

BL.

Thanks alot for the advice. I'll be looking at this when I get home this evening. Thanks for your help, it's realy appreciated.

pilot.ashx?ID=CXA545

Christian Verner 1164995
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,

Here's an update on this issue:

I tried everything listed in this post and nothing worked. The computer will still not boot. Looks like the MB is dead...weird. I'm waiting on the final parts for my new iE7 gaming rig so I dissasembled the whole machine and will be retesting part by part. I'm out of commission for now but will be back on Vatsim with my new rig. Thanks for all your help on this issue. It's realy nice to know that people are there to help out others.

Thanks again

Chris

pilot.ashx?ID=CXA545

Christian Verner 1164995
Posted
Posted

By the way, this is my new gaming rig:

Processor: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06Gjz (will be overclocked)

PSU: Antec TPQ-1200W

Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3x2G) DDR3 1600

HD: WD Velociraptor 600G 10000RPM

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium 7.1

MB: EVGA 141-BL-E760-A1 X58 RT

Video: Nvidia GTX 480 (Zotac) 1.5Ghz GDDR5

Cooling: Cosair H70 Hydro cooling system

Case: Cooler Master 922 HAF mid-tower

I changed my original order that was posted in another thread to this setup after doing some research. IMHO this should realy kick FSX into high gear. Please let me know your comments on this setup.

Thanks

Chris

pilot.ashx?ID=CXA545

• 2 weeks later...
Frank Otero
Posted
Posted

Hi Christian,

I had your problem (on VAIO laptop) and it turned out to be a bad RAM module. Once I pulled it out, the laptop booted normally.

1092537.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

chris, any updates? lets see some screenshots of those frame rates!

Christian Verner 1164995
Posted
Posted

I'm almost finished with the build.

I'm missing my HD (will be in next week)

The minute I have everything tested and in working order I will show you some pics and some screenshots. I cant wait!!!!!!! I installed my PSU last night along with my CPU and the Hydro cooling system

Stay tunned fellaws! Almost there.

pilot.ashx?ID=CXA545

Christian Verner 1164995
Posted
Posted
Hi Christian,

I had your problem (on VAIO laptop) and it turned out to be a bad RAM module. Once I pulled it out, the laptop booted normally.

I tried that as well but still no go. To this day I still have no clue what broke that day. I'm in serious flying withdrawal at the moment It's been a little over a month now.

pilot.ashx?ID=CXA545

Christian Verner 1164995
Posted
Posted

Finaly...my new rig is ready!

Installing Windows 7 Pro 64 this evening! Cant wait to try FSX on it.

pilot.ashx?ID=CXA545

• 3 weeks later...
Christian Verner 1164995
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,

Following up on this thread;

New build: check

FSX installed and running like never before (All settings at max): check

Installing my LevelD 767: In process. Had some issues there. Had to contact Flight one support.

Installing Fsinn: Will be done after my 767 is up and running

First flight online with my new rig: Hopefully this weekend

pilot.ashx?ID=CXA545