You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

blind atc controler at vatusa having problem with reading te

John Sanders

John Sanders
Posted
Posted

Hi my name is John Sanders.

I have a question: I'm having a problem with reading the text messages in vrc. I am using a text to speech screen reading program. is there a way that i can have the ability to read the text messages with in the vrc application?

I can read the private chat log.

But, that's it.

How should i go about reading the chat messages on coms?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

John Sanders

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if i remember correctly, VRC outputs the text comms like a graphical image, not actual text. Ross more then likely can clarify that one.

VRC does allow for text comms to be saved though in text format, so im thinking a plug-in would have to be created to actively post the comms into a text format from VRC.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yes, textual radio communications are rendered as graphics in VRC so there is no way to make them readable by a screen reader.

I could take a look at the code and see what would be involved with having the text radio messages go to the private chat log. Would that make it usable for you?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

John Sanders
Posted
Posted

that would make it easier for me to put the text in to the private chat log window yes.

is that something that you could possibly do?

Sincerely,

John Sanders

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yes, I think I can do that. Could you send me a private forum message with your email address, so I can email you when it's ready?

And will you be able to reply to text pilots using the normal command line in VRC? (I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume so, just want to make sure.)

Dave James 1018738
Posted
Posted

Hello John

Nice to see you are still around. (I have missed you at Liverpool)

If you want any help to test this out use private messaging on this forum to get in touch.

Best Regards

David James

Ross

Thanks for your help, if this works out for John, that would be really good news

David James

VATSIM Screenshot Contest Coordinator

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4gig, RAM 3.25gig, ATI Radeon HD4800, XP Pro SP3, FS9.1 FSnav FSinn VRC

EXS_3.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I've finished the code changes necessary to send all incoming radio text messages to the existing "Chat Log" window. Here's an example of what the line in the chat log will look like:

"DAL123 on 118.250: good evening approach, checking in at 11,000 over PVD."

I will be testing the code this evening and will post the file for download when ready.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Here's a new VRC.exe that sends all incoming text radio messages to the incoming chat log:

http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/files/fvi/VRC.exe

Save this file in the folder where you installed VRC, let it overwrite the existing file, and you should be all set. Please let me know how it works out for you.

• 7 years later...
Mark Kusiak
Posted
Posted

Guys,

I had a pilot in my VA who encountered a request in VATUSA via "VRC" and was NOT able to respond.

Thankfully, he asked the question which lead me to this thread.

I want to gain a better understanding of what this is so as to instruct our on-line pilots on what or how to handle this

in the future. He stated that he did not know how to reply to the query when it appeared. I have incomplete information

at this time, but can provide some information.

The Supervisor was VATUSA9, time stamped [22:37:30} 11/17 and the controller's name is Mani.

I will also be looking at VATUSA for guidance.

Is there a "general procedure" in all communication clients to respond to these, and if so, what is it?

Thanks in advance.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I had a pilot in my VA who encountered a request in VATUSA via "VRC" and was NOT able to respond.

VRC is an ATC client, not a pilot client, so this statement is rather confusing. Are you saying the member of your VA received (something) while using VRC and not while flying?

Thankfully, he asked the question which lead me to this thread.

What question? It's unclear how any part of what you described is related to this thread.

Is there a "general procedure" in all communication clients to respond to these, and if so, what is it?

The only "general procedure" that's consistent across the various pieces of software used to connect to VATSIM is: Read the software's docomeentation. It's unclear from your post, but it sounds like the member in your VA received a private message from a supervisor, so a good place to start in the docomeentation would be the section that talks about private messages.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Mark, I have replied to your comment in the VATUSA forums. Brad is correct; your request has nothing to do with this thread. Please read my reply in the VATUSA forums for additional information and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance. I'll add only slightly to Brad's final point -- yes, general guidance for all members is they have a responsibility to respond to VATSIM Supervisors when they attempt to contact any member; part of that responsibility includes monitoring your connection to know that someone is attempting to contact you, and part of that responsibility includes knowing how to respond to the private message (PM) that is being sent to you (so reading your software client's docomeentation to know how to use it properly is indeed a requirement of all members).

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• 1 year later...
John Sanders
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I have a question: I do apologize if I haven't been on the network in awhile.

I'm wanting to get back in to controlling.

will vrc work with the new audio codak?

What I mean is that with the version of vrc that I have, will that particular version still work?

I know that the developer of vrc had put a code in there so that the text messages that the pilot would send would be able to be read by my screenreader.

Would I still be able to use the version of vrc that you had made the change to?

Sincerely,

John Sanders

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yes, it should still work. You'll need to download the AFV Standalone Voice Client, just like any other VRC user. (The new voice system, AFV, is not integrated into VRC yet.)

John Sanders
Posted
Posted

Hi,

can I get the AFV client from the same website?

Or, do I have to download it from another website?

Sincerely,

John Sanders

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

There will be detailed instructions sent to the membership when the AFV software is available, so stay tuned for that.

• 2 weeks later...
John Sanders
Posted
Posted

I have a question: I'm wanting to get back in to controlling with vrc.

I'm having an issue with connecting to the network.

What program do I connect to the network first?

Is it the audio client?

Or, do I connect vrc first?

I'm only wanting to use atc.

How should I go about fixing this?

Sincerely,

John Sanders

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Hi John, you need to connect VRC first, then the Audio For VATSIM standalone client.

John Sanders
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I try to connect to the AFV server first with vrc, however it keeps on disconnecting me.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm using vrc 1.2.6. I'm totally blind and I'm not able to see.

will the vrc file you created for me with the modification with having the text messages from the pilots still work with the newer version of vrc?

Every time I try to run it, it says ini file not found.

Whenever I go in to the folder in windows 7, where the INI file is kept, I'm able to find the .ini file for vrc.

Sincerely,

John Sanders

John Sanders
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I have a question: I installed the latest version of vrc.

Whenever I go in and copy the vrc.exe file you had created where the pilot chat messages would be put in to the pilot chat log, the program gives me an error stating that the .ini file can't be found.

Whenever I go in to the directory where the vrc data is kept in windows 7, the ini file is there.

Sincerely,

John Sanders

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Hi John,

The folder layout has changed since the version you were using. As of version 1.2.4 the ini file is kept in My Docomeents\VRC.

I think I'll need to create a new version of VRC which has the added feature that you need for your screen reader. I'm afraid I don't recall exactly how the modification worked. Can you describe for me exactly what I did to make it work with your screen reader? I'll make the same changes in the new version and send you an updated exe.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

John, I found the code from the older version that I sent you, and copied it into the latest version. Please give this version a try:

http://www1.metacraft.com/VRC/files/1.2.6_screen_reader_support/VRC.exe

This is version 1.2.6 with the added code that will copy all incoming text radio messages into the chat log window.

Let me know if you need any [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance migrating your profiles from the old INI file location to the new one.

John Sanders
Posted
Posted

I will need some [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance copying my ini file over to the new file that you had sent me.

I have a question: in the audio for vatsim client, whenever I try to connect vrc to the audio for vatsim server, it keeps on disconnecting me.

My text to speech reading program doesn't tell me whether or not in the audio for vatsim client whether or not the box is checked for when I need to start talking to pilots.

I can prime up in vrc, and check the other 2 check boxes.

and I have both boxes for vox server and the vox channel in vrc blank.

Sincerely,

John Sanders

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Hi John,

Do you still have your old ini file that you've been using all along? If so, you'll need to copy it into the following location:

My Docomeents\VRC

That's where VRC looks for the ini file ever since version 1.2.4.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Regarding the AFV client, I think your best bet is to post a new thread in the AFV forum, which is here:

viewforum.php?f=158

The people monitoring that forum will be much more helpful than I can be with the AFV client.