You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Callsign Modifications

Wygene Chong 1089621

Wygene Chong 1089621
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I've been wondering lately if it would be possible to go through the Vroute database and modify callsigns to those actually used in the local region.

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume Vroute automatically takes XXX_APP and turns it into "XXX Approach".

What I'm suggesting is that XXX_APP is turned into "XXX Director" or "XXX Radar" or "XXX Approach" or "XXX Departure", depending on what country you're in (the UK uses Radar and Director)

It would require some liasing with local regions and a lot of database work but perhaps it might just add that little bit to the program? Also, I notice all Russian positions are XXX Center, even when they are towers and grounds?

Wygene Chong

C1 Controller | Iceland | Greenland | Faroe Islands

VATSIM Scandinavia

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I can't say anything on behalf of Michal, but it would require a lot of work, and as this is a hobby project, it would take at least half a year to make it.

Anyway it's still a good idea, but it requires a lot of work.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Radar is not APP, and director is usually _F_APP; departure is _DEP so there's no issue there at all.

Such database could be built ground-up (by users posting changes) because I cannot imagine how to built this top-down by systematic effort from one person. Either way, I don't think the effort justifies the benefit - unless such a database exists already. Sorry.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Wygene Chong 1089621
Posted
Posted

No problem Michal, it was just an idea. I perfectly understand that it would be time-consuming.

Anyway, for clarification sakes, EGBB_APP is pronounced Birmingham Radar. EGLL_N_APP is Heathrow Director. LSAS_CTR is Swiss Radar. There are many others as well

Wygene Chong

VATSIM Scandinavia

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

I'm thinking of extracting the callsigns from ATIS text. It's sometimes easy, i.e. when the ATIS starts with a single word followed by Radar|Approach|Tower and so on. But a quick check of actual logins shows that people most often use controller ATIS for text version of weather reports, so that wouldn't be useful in most of the cases.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Wygene Chong 1089621
Posted
Posted

No, no, don't worry about it Michal. It definitely is a huge project and all for visual aesthetics. Not worth the effort Vroute itself is a great program already

Wygene Chong

VATSIM Scandinavia