You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX Noob here.

Ryan Whitford 995253

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, True story!

I am currently fixing my friends ibuypower gaming rig, and I installed the latest drivers for the ATI 5900 and he can't seem to get Anti-Aliasing in FS9 or X. Am I missing something or is there a tweak out there like for the latest drivers and nVidia did.

i7 930 2.8 Ghz

6GB DDR3

ATI 5900

http://www.allegiantva.org Join if you have skill!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB

David Reeves 1037738
Posted
Posted

I have the same problem in FS9, ATI 5850, cant get the AA to work from the ATI control center at all.

I'll be following this thread.

David.

David Reeves

Sanstitre.png

''The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.''

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

I have tried Google but the threads are very outdated and have little to no solutions. I'm the first person to use Google around here, you rarely see me ask for help this is my last resort.

On a side note. This is why you use nVidia and Intel!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Google is only as useful as the search terms you provide....

Telling someone to google something without extra guidance is pretty much acknowledging you don't know anything about the subject matter to begin with. Afterall most of us already set Google as our homepage for a reason.

David Reeves 1037738
Posted
Posted

Well, I finally got mine to work, but in a unique way.

I resintalled the graphic card drivers (with the disc), without having uninstalled them first. My computer crashed, auto-rebooted, and when I opened flight sim the AA was in effect!

David.

David Reeves

Sanstitre.png

''The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.''

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Google is only as useful as the search terms you provide....

Telling someone to google something without extra guidance is pretty much acknowledging you don't know anything about the subject matter to begin with. Afterall most of us already set Google as our homepage for a reason.

Hi, Erhan. There are lots of people that won't try Google. I believe if every time someone wanted to suggest Google they felt they had to teach a person to use it would be too many words and make it sound complicated. I believe just making people aware of the availability of Google goes a long way for the person given the suggestion.

I believe you'd be surprised at how many people don't think of Google when they have a question. But today, Google is designed in such that it helps the new user. If a person just start typing on the Google page suggestions will start to pop up automatically. If you misspell words it'll start helping you to spell the words and giving suggestions. After you press ENTER it'll correct other words and terms that you might not have though of.

I've worked for years with children, some very illiterate initially when they come to my program. Some don't have a computer (or much access to computers) at home. But in a short time in their spare time they start using Google on their own without being taught. Their browser history always shows things that they are interested in that they have found without being specifically taught to use Google.

I think it's a good thing coming from people who often attach, "Google is your friend" or something similar to a topic. Some people actually take the advice and test it and find it works. They can actually use it without specific training.

I put my laptop in front of a retired old man who thought he didn't have any use for computers, and made it clear that he had no interest. It wasn't for him. I told him to click on the Google link on my tool bar (it's not my home page, by the way) and type anything of interest. He was using it like a pro in minutes. The only thing I had to show him was what a clickable link was and how to move the mouse. I did not have to teach him "How to use Google". It's just a matter of typing whatever is of interest in the search field.

Of course there are advance search tips that people use and can be taught, but I believe to start out with the advance stuff for someone who isn't using it, might be a little intimidating for someone who isn't already using and appreciating it.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Larry: You would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume Google would do as you expect , type in a search term, and do the appropriate set operations to reduce down the results. But I don't think thats the case anymore. I guess what it boils down to is that there are too many irrelvant results, not that the solution isn't out there. Heck it might even be on this website here, hence why the question is appropriate.

Now if I recall these problems generally result in FSX not being in FullScreen mode for whatever reason. Ultimately that's one of many things it could be of the 6000 hits I get for ATI FSX Anti-Aliasing Problem. Google won't solve the Problem part and if it is say the full screen issue, then it really it has nothing to do with an Anti-Aliasing either and more of a Windows problem.

Now if somone came on and said I have error #43910 (buffer sizes don't match) and they didn't Google it first then yes throw the book at them

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Larry: You would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume Google would do as you expect , type in a search term, and do the appropriate set operations to reduce down the results. But I don't think thats the case anymore. I guess what it boils down to is that there are too many irrelvant results, not that the solution isn't out there. Heck it might even be on this website here, hence why the question is appropriate.

Now if I recall these problems generally result in FSX not being in FullScreen mode for whatever reason. Ultimately that's one of many things it could be of the 6000 hits I get for ATI FSX Anti-Aliasing Problem. Google won't solve the Problem part and if it is say the full screen issue, then it really it has nothing to do with an Anti-Aliasing either and more of a Windows problem.

Now if somone came on and said I have error #43910 (buffer sizes don't match) and they didn't Google it first then yes throw the book at them

People often speak as if I'm being insensitive. I don't throw the book at people, though some might think that. I this giving helpful advise is great. There are lots of people that don't think of Google. If I mention it, it's my effort to share something valuable. I really believe that google can be anybody's friend. When a person test it, they will start to learn how to sifter through it.

I person can walk into a public library and immediately be overwhelmed. But if they visit it enough they'll soon start noticing order in it. Of course there are many advance things that a person can be formally taught about using a public library. But (before the days of google) I believe being encouraged to browse a large library has always been good advice.

Of course there are hundreds of thousands of books just as there are many hits on google. But if a person tests various strings, so far everyone I've seen have been able to find valuable information to compliment the other resources that are available such as calling a consultant.

I see a lot of merit in initially having lots of hits. Looking at the various hits gives me clues about how to narrow things down.

As far as the error code you mentioned, it never ceases to amaze me how quickly typing in error codes brings up relevant hits.

I don't mind giving support in conjunction to google searching or in lieu of google searching. I just believe reminding the users of the merit available in google is a good thing.

I'm really glad it was suggested to me and I discovered how to use it very efficiently by testing it a lot.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

So since my post has turned out out be pointless I think I mod should lock and delete.

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Larry: I was lucky enough to have access to one of the larger library systems in the world. I'd have to say though having things cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ified by a single authority such as the Library of Congress seems to return far better results then a local libaries dewey decimal system which is really done for sorting purposes only.

And that's my opinion of google, It's not quite the authority it should be. Yes the result is probably there if you search around and refine the search a bit. But at the same time if you looked up say a mathematics definition Google sends you to www.wikipedia.org. If it was to answer like a school librarian they would send the traffic to the free encyclopedia by Wolfram Research that has a fulltime editor.

If information is power, it has to come at a price. Google doesn't solve that issue and the corporations that do most of the publishing are slow to bringing it to consumers. I think they're more interested in selling to a school system as a whole, and it might catch on as a way to save costs. Then that would be a way to do real research, otherwise Google might just be making it easier for people to plagerize someone elses derived work.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Larry: I was lucky enough to have access to one of the larger library systems in the world. I'd have to say though having things cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ified by a single authority such as the Library of Congress seems to return far better results then a local libaries dewey decimal system which is really done for sorting purposes only.

And that's my opinion of google, It's not quite the authority it should be. Yes the result is probably there if you search around and refine the search a bit. But at the same time if you looked up say a mathematics definition Google sends you to http://www.wikipedia.org. If it was to answer like a school librarian they would send the traffic to the free encyclopedia by Wolfram Research that has a fulltime editor.

If information is power, it has to come at a price. Google doesn't solve that issue and the corporations that do most of the publishing are slow to bringing it to consumers. I think they're more interested in selling to a school system as a whole, and it might catch on as a way to save costs. Then that would be a way to do real research, otherwise Google might just be making it easier for people to plagerize someone elses derived work.

I don't see a problem if Google isn't for some. I find it a very useful tool. If it doesn't work for you, you're the first. So far everyone I've introduced it to has found a lot of merit. Of course I'm not the one that introduced it to you.

As far as what it should be, I'm not the authority to make that decision. However, I'm very impressed with a lot of the efforts Google's administration has taken. I'm especially impressed at how much they provide to the world without a surcharge.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky: