You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Clint Wallis 1078533

Clint Wallis 1078533
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Clint Wallis 1078533
Delete

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I truly love this idea. We know from slotted events that pilots will often keep to pre-booked slots. The added organization of VAs would increase this. It would give VATSIM some more realism and be generally awesome. It would improve ATC training since they would have a chance to practice. It would give pilots predictable ATC. I particularly like this idea with fictional VAs.

This should be implemented everywhere.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

instead of offering slots, how bout just a booking system? which technically there already is one in some places for both pilots and controllers.

i dont see an ATC booking system working in the US, least not in the ARTCC's ive been in. the staffing is too random at those. and the side effect would probably be pilots complaining a certain controller didnt show for their "shift" (seen that happen before)

the pilot bookings could work tho, it gives ATC a heads up on whats coming in and in turn encourages someone to come up on the scopes.

you wouldnt even need to create the scrypt for it, there already is one. cant remember the address of the top of my head tho.

VRoute also has a booking system

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

It would have to implemented at a higher than ARTCC level, such as the VATUSA/VATCAN level. It would also have to made known.

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

I don't see that working.

For one, it starts to look like a job (scheduled well in advance,knowing you have to be there,etc)

and for two,you'll get many heated debates about when someone was to show up and

why he wasn't there.

f1cert.gif

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I don't see why it would make it like a job. There a lot of fun activities that are planned in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
Phill Powell 849479
Posted
Posted
I don't see that working.

For one, it starts to look like a job (scheduled well in advance,knowing you have to be there,etc)

and for two,you'll get many heated debates about when someone was to show up and

why he wasn't there.

I'm sorry you feel like that Tom.

Controllers do this all the time!

We book sessions, sometimes weeks ahead. We turn up and hope that some pilot will fly for us.

We mentor students, supply adjacent cover for mentoring sessions, fly for mentoring sessions, fly for exams.

I've never heard a controller say it sounds like a job.

We do it because we enjoy doing it.

I'm providing approach cover tonight for a FlyUK memorial fly out.

I've had problems with my internet all day, though it seems stable now.

If I can't make it I'll try to phone someone else who can. If I fail there will not be a heated debate about why.

On topic, I love this idea too. Anything that gets more traffic gets my vote.

Vatsim network supervisor

VATeud I1/VATeir local examiner.

Filip Schlosser 1175152
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I started reading this huge post and immediately it was clear to me that people want higher traffic around airports. I am completely new to vatsim and the whole virtual atc thing. It's very interesting though ! I am a big X-Plane fan and I can't wait to get my new computer to play it. I bought it months ago but was not able to run it properly because of a low spec computer. This aside, I am pitching an idea here to how more traffic may be generated around airports and in the skies high above. Maybe what I propose here, somebody has already implemented it or thought about doing it. In that case please point me to that person .

Having the ability to write plugins for X-Plane it would be really nice if real world 'live' departures and arrivals could be fed into the simulator.

it would go a bit like this:

X-Plane plugin reaquets a feed of London Heathrow departures off the internet. According to this list, X-Plane puts planes on the tarmac and programs their computer with a route to their destination. Once arrived at the destination the simulated plane lands on the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned runway.

This adds a nice extra dimension of reality to the simulator. The problem that instantly manifests itself is that ATC has no control over these aircraft. See it more as extra obstacles you have to work your way around when guiding 'players'. This particular problem could be addressed by allowing controlers to send commands to these simulated flights. But let's keep this for another discussion. Imagine aircraft taking off from 100 or 200 airports around the world, mixing in with the connected pilots. It can get really busy !

Once more. If such a system already exist, please let me know. As it goes with simulators, work is never done, and new features that increase realism can always be implemented.

The ultimate goal for a system like this is to get a as good as possible replication of current air traffic around the globe.

A next step would be, a server that host all information about simulated 'real world' flight. A X-Plane user can connect to this service and the world around him will be filled with air traffic as it currently is in that region (compare a bit tothe weather generating system in flgiht simulators).

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

we dont use automated traffic online also remember Xplane is not the only sim supported

Filip Schlosser 1175152
Posted
Posted

so is that a definitive no go against having more planes whizzing around in the skies?

I understand that not only X-Plane is supported but what does this mean in practical terms? Is it so that a traffic controller has control over airspace in X-Plane and FSX at the same time?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted (edited)

nope. we just dont use bots online anymore. in the old days we had a limited number of bots, which could be fully controlled by commands.

we do use bots in our ATC training servers, which are fully customizable by the instructors and can be fully controlled by them using command strings. as far as i know tho, those bots are only viewable from the ATC client, they wont show in the pilot software, as far as ive heard anyway, havent tried it as you arent allowed to connect to the training servers with a pilot client.

pilots wouldnt be able to interact with these bots either way. theyd just get run down by them whenever they get in the way of one. anyone who has ever used the FS AI traffic knows exactly how that happens

just say no to AI traffic, or as i call them, automated idiots

Edited by Guest

Clint Wallis 1078533
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Clint Wallis 1078533
Delete

• Clint Wallis 1078533 changed the title to .