You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

North American Tour of the Majors

David Stokes Douglas 11351

Posted
Posted

To those of you who are unaware, a list of all of the airports that are considered to be major airport and have a Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace around can be found on the VATUSA website.

Now here is what i am proposing.

I group of pilot get together each weekend and do a leg of a route that i will work on put together. We coordinate with the appropriate ARTCC's to get ATC.

Any thought's, comments, or suggestions?

Regards

David Stokes Douglas

Bar Rodoy
Posted
Posted

Sounds nice. I am in.

Bar Rodoy

VATSIM Israel

pmdg737ngx2378x68new.jpg

Stephen Plumb 1108305
Posted
Posted

Do it!

Posted
Posted

Rgr that,

I'll keep ya'll updated

David Stokes Douglas

Posted
Posted

Let me know what you think.

This is what i have come up so far that is even close to constituting a route.

I like to call it the 31000nm trip from Atlanta to New York.

KATL

KBOS

KDTW

KSEA

PANC

PHNL

KLAX

KDFW

KMIA

KDCA

KMSP

KSLC

KLAS

KPHX

KDEN

KORD

KLGA

KIND

KIAH

KSFO

KPHL

KSAN

KMCI

KEWR

KMEM

KBWI

KIAD

KJFK

I was thinking about having LAX and JFK as the start and end point for the trip but i am not sure yet. Both of the ARTCC's are the biggest in VATUSA each having three Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Bravo airports. So each ARTCC would be visited in the tour three times which believe it or not is harder to work into the route then you think. Especially with a maturity of the Majors being of the east side of the USA

David Stokes Douglas

Stephen Plumb 1108305
Posted
Posted

Looks outstanding!

Time to stock up on charts.

Bar Rodoy
Posted
Posted

Looks great!

Contact me on MSN: [email protected], please.

Bar Rodoy

VATSIM Israel

pmdg737ngx2378x68new.jpg

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Not for nothing, but you may not want to leave our friends in Europe, Asia, Africa, C. and S. America, and Oceania out of this, and just make the trip a world tour. You'd need a list of what they cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ify as "major" airports there, though. If you do that, I would suggest starting at PHNL and work your way east. When you hit, say, YSSY or NZAA, you could hop over to NFFN and hit all of S. America's majors, then work your way back up, byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the USA altogether, hit the majors in Canada, then end at JFK or something.

Just a thought...

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
Not for nothing, but you may not want to leave our friends in Europe, Asia, Africa, C. and S. America, and Oceania out of this, and just make the trip a world tour. You'd need a list of what they cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ify as "major" airports there, though. If you do that, I would suggest starting at PHNL and work your way east. When you hit, say, YSSY or NZAA, you could hop over to NFFN and hit all of S. America's majors, then work your way back up, byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the USA altogether, hit the majors in Canada, then end at JFK or something.

Just a thought...

BL.

We already have a world tour event, though. He's trying to make something more local.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

What I think would be very cool would be a cross the continent event in VATUSA. Like cross the pond but for coast to coast flights.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

"light up america" usually does the trick for that one

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I tried that last time, and ATC wasn't very consistent.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

I saw the light up america event, but it was at a time where many of us in the ARTCC were not available. Haven't seen one since though.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

itll change with times zones, its almost impossible to get the guys on the west coast up at the same time as the guys in the east. 4+ hour difference. so its normally done in zones.

if you start in the east and head west, youll get non stop ATC. if you start in the west, then theres no guarantee

what they could do is like CTP, do an Eastbound/Westbound deal. thatd probably work, altho you'd have to bait the guys in the east to stay up past midnight

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Eastbound, westbound is a good idea.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
itll change with times zones, its almost impossible to get the guys on the west coast up at the same time as the guys in the east. 4+ hour difference. so its normally done in zones.

if you start in the east and head west, youll get non stop ATC. if you start in the west, then theres no guarantee

what they could do is like CTP, do an Eastbound/Westbound deal. thatd probably work, altho you'd have to bait the guys in the east to stay up past midnight

From the west coast to the east coast is only 3 hours different.

Los Angeles time now, 11:00AM. New York, 2:00PM. Different: 3 hours.

CTP, I was at work til 11:00pm and turned around to wake up pre-6:00am to get online and staff for the event. Why? When else do I get to participate in that event. I can wake early for movies, I can wake early to work oceanic clearance.

Posted
Posted (edited)

Just a thought...

BL.

Just a thought...

BL.

We already have a world tour event, though. He's trying to make something more local.

Exactly my point. The World Tour event is held by a non for profit charity group each year. It just wouldn't feel right trying to create a another event just like their's when they do a good enough job themselves.

As for the list i release earlier. I am try to make it so that none of the trips are more than say 3 hours long. I only fly a 747 so i will be calculating the flight's at the speed that a 747 would fly them at econ cruise. For those who fly smaller jets you may have compensate for that lack of speed during the event. I will have another list out later and hopefully within a month start talking to the ARTCC's about a start date.

As for Canada I noticed that in the GRP you had a good number of majors yourself. I will do my best to work you guys into the list.

***EDIT*** Made some spelling and grammatical corrections.

Edited by Guest

David Stokes Douglas

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

From the west coast to the east coast is only 3 hours different.

smiley-taunt002.gif

Posted
Posted

Another List, Shorten but with Canadian Airports in it.

Hello Everybody,

I just spent the past hour going back through my list. I have constructed another list.

In this list each leg (at a 747's econ cruise speed) is between an 40min to two hours long.

I hope everybody likes it. If there is an airport that you would like me to add please let me know and i will do my best to do so but i can't make any promises.

KLAX KSEA 954 mi 1:43

KSEA KSFO 679 mi 1:13

KSFO KPHX 651 mi 1:10

KPHX KDFW 868 mi 1:33

KDFW KDEN 641 mi 1:09

KDEN KLAS 628 mi 1:08

KLAS CYVR 992 mi 1:47

CYVR PANC 1330 mi 2:23

PANC CYEG 1447 mi 2:36

CYEG PHNL 3207 mi 5:45

PHNL KSAN 2614 mi 4:41

KSAN KSLC 626 mi 1:07

KSLC CYYC 720 mi 1:17

CYYC KORD 1385 mi 2:29

KORD KMEM 492 mi 0:53

KMEM KMIA 859 mi 1:32

KMIA KATL 594 mi 1:04

KATL KBOS 946 mi 1:42

KBOS KIND 818 mi 1:28

KIND CYWG 884 mi 1:35

CYWG CYYZ 937 mi 1:41

CYYZ KMSP 678 mi 1:13

KMSP KIAH 1034 mi 1:51

KIAH KIAD 1190 mi 2:08

KIAD KDTW 383 mi 0:41

KDTW KDCA 405 mi 0:44

KDCA KMCI 949 mi 1:42

KMCI KLGA 1107 mi 1:59

KLGA CYQB 433 mi 0:47

CYQB KJFK 441 mi 0:47

David Stokes Douglas

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

David, I may not join in all your flights (or any), but I just wanted to say that you have done a gr8 job in putting together a list of airports and crisscrossing them with 2 hr flying times, spare PHNL which couldn't be helped. I hope you get many pilots to fly with you.

Cheers!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Posted
Posted
David, I may not join in all your flights (or any), but I just wanted to say that you have done a gr8 job in putting together a list of airports and crisscrossing them with 2 hr flying times, spare PHNL which couldn't be helped. I hope you get many pilots to fly with you.

Cheers!!

Thank You Sir

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to join. I cannot promise that i will be able to join in on all of them either as i do have a job and homework but i will try my hardest.

David Stokes Douglas

Tyler Johnson 1006929
Posted
Posted

David,

I love the idea! I will set the wheels in motion and get a hold of mathew magera, hopefully we can get this set up soon. \

Posted
Posted

So far this is the route that i have come up with. It will take us roughly 36 Los Angeles to New York

KLAX KSEA 954 mi 1:43

KSEA KSFO 679 mi 1:13

KSFO KPHX 651 mi 1:10

KPHX KDFW 868 mi 1:33

KDFW KDEN 641 mi 1:09

KDEN KLAS 628 mi 1:08

KLAS CYVR 992 mi 1:47

CYVR PANC 1330 mi 2:23

PANC CYEG 1447 mi 2:36

CYEG PHNL 3207 mi 5:45

PHNL KSAN 2614 mi 4:41

KSAN KSLC 626 mi 1:07

KSLC CYYC 720 mi 1:17

CYYC KORD 1385 mi 2:29

KORD KMEM 492 mi 0:53

KMEM KMIA 859 mi 1:32

KMIA KATL 594 mi 1:04

KATL KBOS 946 mi 1:42

KBOS KIND 818 mi 1:28

KIND CYWG 884 mi 1:35

CYWG CYYZ 937 mi 1:41

CYYZ KMSP 678 mi 1:13

KMSP KIAH 1034 mi 1:51

KIAH KIAD 1190 mi 2:08

KIAD KDTW 383 mi 0:41

KDTW KDCA 405 mi 0:44

KDCA KMCI 949 mi 1:42

KMCI KLGA 1107 mi 1:59

KLGA CYQB 433 mi 0:47

CYQB KJFK 441 mi 0:47

Total: 28892mi 51:56

This is how our route looks on a map, courtesy of http://www.gcmap.com

map?P=KLAX-+KSEA-KSFO-KPHX-KDFW-KDEN-KLAS-CYVR-PANC-CYEG-PHNL-KSAN-KSLC-CYYC-KORD-KMEM-KMIA-KATL-KBOS-KIND-CYWG-CYYZ-KMSP-KIAH-KIAD-KDTW-KDCA-KMCI-KLGA-CYQB-KJFK&MS=wls&MR=540&MX=720x360&PM=*

As you can see from above, there are only two routes that are longer than 2:30.

CYEG-PHNL

PHNL-KSAN

Both are between 4 and 6 hours long depending on the aircraft.

If you are interested in joining me please e-mail me at [email protected]

From there I will [Mod - Happy Thoughts]emble a e-mail list so that i can e-mail you the exact time and date that the tour will begin. I am hoping to get approval from VATUSA5 to make a banner with VATUSA's logo on it.

Regards,

David Stokes Douglas

David Stokes Douglas