You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Having problems getting dual monitors working on FSX

Rob Carr 1174186

Rob Carr 1174186
Posted
Posted

Hey guys I finally got around to working on my dual monitor setup, but FSX is not cooperating. First, here's my setup:

Windows 7 x64

i5 750

ATI 5850 (1xHDMI. 1xDP, 1xDVI)

8 Gig RAM

1 x 26" 1920x1200 LCD (HDMI)

2 x 19" 1280x1024 LCD's (VGA - 1 via DP/VGA, 1 via DVI/VGA)

TrackIR 5

FSX/Accleration

In Windows 7 I have no problem. My desktop is extended, and I can move my mouse across all the screens. Here are the issues I am seeing with FSX...

1. When I load FSX the main menu is displayed on the center (26") display. When I fly, however, the right monitor (19") is the one that loads. The center and left are black.

2. I want to use all 3 LCD's for my virtual cockpit. I cannot see how I do this. I have tried putting FSX in Window mode, and then expanding the window to the other LCD's, but most of the window goes black and the image looks skewed.

So what is the trick here? I see videos of others having a 3 screen (or more) virtual cockpit that appears pretty seamless.

Thanks for the help guys!

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Hi Rob, the following is absolutely try at your own risk instructions.

Use the "[" key (or whatever is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned in your sim) to open a new window, drag it to the other monitors resize it, set a view.

In your windows display settings, look at the order of monitors. I think clicking on "Identify" should show you the order. Most likely FSX displays on whichever is identified by "1". You can change that order from the advanced settings and make your center one "1", then that becomes primary and all menus show up there.

usually in a multi-monitor set up, like 3 displays if you will for example, the center will display forward view, the right side will display forward-right, and the left side will display forward-left. If positioned well enuf, they will almost form a seamless view, but sometimes overlap can't be helped as they are different windows.

"WORD OF CAUTION"Be very carefuly before you switch order of the monitors, windows will vanish (as in hide) if they were saved earlier there, so be very very careful. Whenever I change orders, I make sure I move all the windows which automatically open on #2 to #1 first by opening them manually and then and only then change the order. You will be surprised how many open in another display which you just changed order on or changed side on. Always the most important ones are involved . As a precaution, be sure to write it down what they were first before you switch. You can easily switch back and drag out those windows if needed.

Here is one thing I haven't tried. I haven't used IR5 with multiple windows open at the same time, what with the single display et al, so you will have to see if it affects all views or not, my guess though would be that it would affect them.

You can't have a single display stretching across all 3 as the monitor's resolutions are not the same, which I think you will need for it to stretch seamlessly across. Atleast you need them to be of the same height, like 1024 across all.

PS. I have 2 monitors and I use only 1 monitor for the sim itself, I have played with a lot of settings and all this is from experimenting. I myself don't fly with it. I hope you do understand the std disclaimer that try at your own risk...etc etc...but good luck with it

PPS. On my monitor, might be different in yours, the connection through HDMI sucked on fps, the moment I switched to DVI, I was in fps heaven, which for me was barely above 15-20 fps, but better than the 6 don't you think?

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Rob Carr 1174186
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the help Charan! I got it working (so far with 2 monitors) using Eyefinity. Actually pretty seamless solution. I just setup Eyefinity in CCC and my system now thinks I have 1 monitor with a resolution of 2560x1024. I set the resolution in my games and that is it. Seems to work with all my games, including IL-2, rFactor, NR2003, etc. I ordered an adapter to run the 3rd monitor. That should be interesting. In any case, FSX is great at this resolution.

Thanks again for your help Charan!

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

2560x1024...that sound wicked...someday I will get there I would've suggested Matrox 3h2go, but eyefinitiy works too.

Wide blue skies to you!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Rob Carr 1174186
Posted
Posted
2560x1024...that sound wicked...someday I will get there I would've suggested Matrox 3h2go, but eyefinitiy works too.

Wide blue skies to you!!

It is pretty sweet. It's a real game changer in NR2003 too. Awesome solution. Put it on your shopping list!